From: Ron on
I want to back up 3 Macs to an external drive: a G5 running 10.4.11 and
2 MacBooks running 10.6. For the MacBooks, I can use Time Machine but
there's no Time Machine in 10.4.
I have Retrospect on the G5 but I believe that if I back the G5 up to
the ext. HD with Retrospect, Retrospect will own that drive and I won't
be able to use it for the other Macs. If that's the case, would the best
answer be to partition the external drive and reserve one partition for
Retrospect data?
From: Tom Stiller on
In article <1jkyow2.1h90ho1l2tx6cN%RonTheGuy(a)null.invalid>,
RonTheGuy(a)null.invalid (Ron) wrote:

> I want to back up 3 Macs to an external drive: a G5 running 10.4.11 and
> 2 MacBooks running 10.6. For the MacBooks, I can use Time Machine but
> there's no Time Machine in 10.4.
> I have Retrospect on the G5 but I believe that if I back the G5 up to
> the ext. HD with Retrospect, Retrospect will own that drive and I won't
> be able to use it for the other Macs. If that's the case, would the best
> answer be to partition the external drive and reserve one partition for
> Retrospect data?

You can direct Retrospect to use files (catalog and data) rather than
the entire drive.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3 7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
From: Christoph Gartmann on
In article <1jkyow2.1h90ho1l2tx6cN%RonTheGuy(a)null.invalid>, RonTheGuy(a)null.invalid (Ron) writes:
>I want to back up 3 Macs to an external drive: a G5 running 10.4.11 and
>2 MacBooks running 10.6. For the MacBooks, I can use Time Machine but
>there's no Time Machine in 10.4.
>I have Retrospect on the G5 but I believe that if I back the G5 up to
>the ext. HD with Retrospect, Retrospect will own that drive and I won't
>be able to use it for the other Macs. If that's the case, would the best
>answer be to partition the external drive and reserve one partition for
>Retrospect data?

The problem is more with TimeMachine. TimeMachine will try to use the whole
drive whereas with Retrospect you may save the backup in a file. I think this
is one of the rare cases where paritioning might be usefull, unless you buy a
second drive.

Alternatively you may backup your G5 to one of the MacBooks and use TimeMachine
to backup to the drive.

Regards,
Christoph Gartmann

--
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Phone : +49-761-5108-464 Fax: -80464
Immunbiologie
From: Geoffrey S. Mendelson on
Christoph Gartmann wrote:
> The problem is more with TimeMachine. TimeMachine will try to use the whole
> drive whereas with Retrospect you may save the backup in a file. I think this
> is one of the rare cases where paritioning might be usefull, unless you buy a
> second drive.

Time Machine can be tamed. If you set it to use other devices and back up
to an SMB share instead of an Apple one, you can create a limited size
backup. (note that this may also work on a regular Apple file share too).

Search the web for Time Machine and sparsebundle, there are several good
tutorials.

A sparsebundle is a file made up of small files and the directory information
to keep track of it. For example, I created a 200g sparse bundle on my Mac
and then transfered it over to my SMB file share. Empty it was about 150
megabytes. Eventually it will grow until the disk is full, or it reaches
200 gigabytes, whichever is smaller.

There are three things to do, which is why you have to follow the tutorials.

The first is to tell Time Machine to use other file systems than the default
for backup. Write this down or print it out because you will need to do it to
use files for backup.

The second is to create the sparsebundle "file" in the correct place with
the correct name.

The third is to set up Time Machine to use it.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm(a)mendelson.com N3OWJ/4X1GM
I do multitasking. If that bothers you, file a complaint and I will start
From: Ron on
Tom Stiller <tom_stiller(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> In article <1jkyow2.1h90ho1l2tx6cN%RonTheGuy(a)null.invalid>,
> RonTheGuy(a)null.invalid (Ron) wrote:
>
> > I want to back up 3 Macs to an external drive: a G5 running 10.4.11 and
> > 2 MacBooks running 10.6. For the MacBooks, I can use Time Machine but
> > there's no Time Machine in 10.4.
> > I have Retrospect on the G5 but I believe that if I back the G5 up to
> > the ext. HD with Retrospect, Retrospect will own that drive and I won't
> > be able to use it for the other Macs. If that's the case, would the best
> > answer be to partition the external drive and reserve one partition for
> > Retrospect data?
>
> You can direct Retrospect to use files (catalog and data) rather than
> the entire drive.

This was good advice. I took the easy way out. I split a big external
drive into 4 partitions: a big one for my G5 (Retrospect, catalog and
data), two others for an MBP and a MB (Time Machine), the fourth for
misc. junk.
Thanks,
Ron