From: BreadWithSpam on

Hi, folks. Just looking to get some opinions and experiences -

I'm seriously thinking about home office network backup and storage
and need to weigh out costs, simplicity and reliability.

Anyone used a Newertech Guardian Maximus? It's a RAID1 dual drive
array which plugs right into the desktop machine's firewire. No need
for me to boot off of it, but it'd make a great TM drive and would
serve as a great place to hold an encrypted sparse bundle disk image
for data which needs to be both secure and continually backed up.

Pros or cons of going up-market to a RAID5 box? OWC has one which
comes with four 1TB drives and in a RAID5 config, getting
approximately 2.6TG of redundant storage, more speed, and just the
same level of simplicity (plug into FW port and all done).

But then, if I'm going to spend $600+ on that RAID5 box, it starts to
look like it'd be nicer to have something on the network so I can use
it with both the desktop as well as the laptops on the network.

Are there any NAS/RAID boxes which will get me 2TB+ of storage which
are worth working with for anywhere near that price range? I've seen
some information about these:

Netgear ReadyNAS Duo 2-bay - Amazon's got it diskless for about $200
and I could put a pair of 2TB drives in for another couple of hundred
bucks (though on the Amazon page, it talks about 1TB drives - anyone
knoe if it'll take 2TB drives or if there's likely any issue with
that?)

Western Digital My Book World Edition II 4TB ($450). It looks about
as simple as such a box can be - the drives drop in from the top and
config looks pretty easy. Reviews are a little mixed and most seem to
be from folks using Windows. Performance isn't going to be great, but
since it'll be mainly a backup drive that shouldn't be much of an
issue.

D-Link 2-Bay NAS ShareCenter enclosure (about $180 without drives).
(DNS-323). Seems pretty similar to the Netgear box.

Additional nice things (in theory) about the NAS boxes is that they
all claim to be able to do things like act as media servers for iTunes
sharing.

I'm seriously thinking about that My Book World Ed. II deal. That's
no more expensive than the Guardian MAX, but it's NAS.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and opinions.

From: Claude V. Lucas on
In article <yobr5jni1tq.fsf(a)panix3.panix.com>,
<BreadWithSpam(a)fractious.net> wrote:

>Hi, folks. Just looking to get some opinions and experiences -
>
>I'm seriously thinking about home office network backup and storage
>and need to weigh out costs, simplicity and reliability.
>
>Anyone used a Newertech Guardian Maximus? It's a RAID1 dual drive
>array which plugs right into the desktop machine's firewire. No need
>for me to boot off of it, but it'd make a great TM drive and would
>serve as a great place to hold an encrypted sparse bundle disk image
>for data which needs to be both secure and continually backed up.

Have a newish one.

Seems to work OK for the most part but it has, on several occasions
including the initial install, confused the SMC requiring a reset in
order for the array to be visible/usable by the system. OWC TS seems
to think the issue is with my 2006 iMac rather than their device...

I use it mainly for a clone of my internal, but don't really trust it yet
so I occasionally also clone it to a single drive in a different box.

From: Jolly Roger on
In article <yobr5jni1tq.fsf(a)panix3.panix.com>,
BreadWithSpam(a)fractious.net wrote:

> Hi, folks. Just looking to get some opinions and experiences -
>
> I'm seriously thinking about home office network backup and storage
> and need to weigh out costs, simplicity and reliability.
>
> Anyone used a Newertech Guardian Maximus? It's a RAID1 dual drive
> array which plugs right into the desktop machine's firewire. No need
> for me to boot off of it, but it'd make a great TM drive and would
> serve as a great place to hold an encrypted sparse bundle disk image
> for data which needs to be both secure and continually backed up.
>

> Pros or cons of going up-market to a RAID5 box? OWC has one which
> comes with four 1TB drives and in a RAID5 config, getting
> approximately 2.6TG of redundant storage, more speed, and just the
> same level of simplicity (plug into FW port and all done).
>

> But then, if I'm going to spend $600+ on that RAID5 box, it starts to
> look like it'd be nicer to have something on the network so I can use
> it with both the desktop as well as the laptops on the network.
>
> Are there any NAS/RAID boxes which will get me 2TB+ of storage which
> are worth working with for anywhere near that price range? I've seen
> some information about these:
>
> Netgear ReadyNAS Duo 2-bay - Amazon's got it diskless for about $200
> and I could put a pair of 2TB drives in for another couple of hundred
> bucks (though on the Amazon page, it talks about 1TB drives - anyone
> knoe if it'll take 2TB drives or if there's likely any issue with
> that?)
>
> Western Digital My Book World Edition II 4TB ($450). It looks about
> as simple as such a box can be - the drives drop in from the top and
> config looks pretty easy. Reviews are a little mixed and most seem to
> be from folks using Windows. Performance isn't going to be great, but
> since it'll be mainly a backup drive that shouldn't be much of an
> issue.
>
> D-Link 2-Bay NAS ShareCenter enclosure (about $180 without drives).
> (DNS-323). Seems pretty similar to the Netgear box.
>
> Additional nice things (in theory) about the NAS boxes is that they
> all claim to be able to do things like act as media servers for iTunes
> sharing.
>
> I'm seriously thinking about that My Book World Ed. II deal. That's
> no more expensive than the Guardian MAX, but it's NAS.
>
> Thanks so much for your thoughts and opinions.

I'm surprised you haven't mentioned Drobo at all...

JR
From: BreadWithSpam on
Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> writes:
> In article <yobr5jni1tq.fsf(a)panix3.panix.com>,
> BreadWithSpam(a)fractious.net wrote:

> > Are there any NAS/RAID boxes which will get me 2TB+ of storage which
> > are worth working with for anywhere near that price range? I've seen
> > some information about these:

> I'm surprised you haven't mentioned Drobo at all...

Expensive.

Empty 4-bay Drobo starts at $350 or so. Okay, it's about the same
price as the OWC Mercury Elite Qx2, which is also very slick.

In both cases, it's a non-networked solution and after factoring in
the price of drives, I get more storage-per-dollar using a two-drive
RAID1 with a pair of 2TB drives. These 4-drive boxes are a lot
cheaper per TB when going with 4 2TB drives, but I don't think I want
to spend $1000 at this point.

And then if we add another $200 for the DroboShare, it's a very pricey
total investment.

The Drobo looks like a very likely alternative to the Qx2, though.

Nevertheless, I'm leaning towards giving that My Book World Ed. II a
shot. For a total of $450, if I can get it to just behave nicely for
network-attached backups, I think it'd be a nice bit of data insurance
for me. I'd love to minimize the plug/unplug games of externals on
the desktop and laptops.

From: Kevin McMurtrie on
In article <vilain-BC8F50.13074301072010(a)news.individual.net>,
Michael Vilain <vilain(a)NOspamcop.net> wrote:

. . .
> I found that most NAS wasn't worth the time and effort to use it unless
> it served disks with native AFS. Nice to know Drobo does this because
> the Netgear(?) box didn't. Even connected to my network via a cable, it
> was painfully slow slogging through all the files on it.
>
> A friend thought he'd use a NAS in place of a Timecapsule. Extending
> this thread further, how well does that work? I can see the Droboshare
> working flawlessly, but what about other PC-centric products?

TimeMachine can do backups to any filesystem if you allow it. If it's
not the right version of AFP it will put a disk image on it. A static
IP address and a VPN router will allow you to back up a laptop while
away from home.

All that aside, one that supports a recent version of AFP makes
everything else easier. Check reviews with benchmarks because many
consumer NAS are _extremely_ slow. Even speeds down in the 5 MB/sec
range are not uncommon.

Info on unsupported NAS with TM:
http://www.pixelmemory.us/TimeMachineNAS/index.html