From: Lao Ming on
So why does it seem necessary to specify a size? Is this just the
initial size?

For example, I intentionally tried (without specifying a size):

hdiutil create -type SPARSEBUNDLE -fs HFS+J -volname Earth Earth

and got this error:

hdiutil: create: WARNING: size unspecified and no other options imply
a size
created: /Library/WebServer/Documents//Earth.sparsebundle

Still, as you can see, the sparsebundle was still created and I then
mounted it:

hdiutil attach -readwrite Earth.sparsebundle

I had no problem writing to it, deleting from it or rewriting to it.

The man page has a lot to say about size but not what I can tell is
conclusive. However, under "-srcfolder" (which I'm not using in this
case), it states:

Other size specifiers, such as -size, will override
the default (size of the source directory plus some
padding for filesystem overhead), allowing for more
or less free space in the resulting filesystem.

So, anyway, if anyone could tell me whether the size is just an
initial size or not or what its purpose is, I'd much appreciate it.
Thanks a bunch.

From: nospam on
In article
<6124abcf-4595-4dff-b7cc-b3c6dae72d61(a)c33g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
Lao Ming <laomingliu(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> So why does it seem necessary to specify a size? Is this just the
> initial size?

it's the maximum size.

the initial size is as big as it needs to be to hold whatever you put
on it.
From: David Empson on
Lao Ming <laomingliu(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> So why does it seem necessary to specify a size? Is this just the
> initial size?

It is the maximum size. Specifying the size is necessary because the
file system within the sparse bundle needs to have an identifiable
volume size.

The sparse bundle will start out just big enough to hold the directory
information for the file system inside the sparse bundle, and will grow
as files are copied into the sparse bundle, limited to the maximum size
specified when it was created.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz