From: ohaya on
Hi,

I've been using VPC for awhile now, but I've been starting to use VPC
more frequently for testing. This is on a machine with Win2K Server and
2.5GB of memory.

I've noticed that I'm frequently getting situations where VPC (and the
guest hosts) will either freeze completely, or I get a popup error
saying "An error has occurred" (and asking if I want to send something
to MS). This happens frequently when I try to run the following guests:

Guest1: Win2K Server SP4, 900MB memory allocated
Guest2: Win2K Server SP4, 700MB memory allocated
Guest3: Win2K Server SP4, 512MB memory allocated

I especially notice this happening when more than one of the guests
happen to be trying to start simultaenously, but it'll happen even when
I start the guests one at a time.

The total memory allocated for the guests is about 2.1GB, and I'm
wondering if the ~400MB that is left for the host might not be enough
and causing these problems?

Thanks,
Jim
From: Colin Barnhorst on
One way to find out is to reduce the ram allocated until the problem
dissappears.

From: ohaya on
Colin,

Unless I'm misunderstanding your suggestion, I don't think that I can do
that, because if I reduce the memory allocated for the guest hosts, as I
posted originally, the apps that I'm running in the guest hosts (in
particular, two instances of BEA WebLogic in the larger guests) won't run.

I've increased the pagefile size on the larger guests to over 2.5GB, but
am still having the problem.

I have an additional 2GB of RAM on order and will try that when it gets
here, but if anyone has any other suggestions, please post. Also FYI, I
have VM Additions installed on all 3 guests.

Jim

From: ohaya on
Hi,

I just got the additional 2GB in today, and installed it.
Unfortunately, my mobo apparently only can handle ~3.3GB, even with 4
sticks of 1GB RAM. Anyway, it's about 700MB more than I had before, and
the guest hosts STILL hang occasionally.

I'm running a memory test now, to see if that could be the problem, but
does anyone have any other ideas about what the problem might be?

I've also increased the swap disk size on each guest to about 2.5GB, but
still the same problem :(!!

Jim

From: Colin Barnhorst on
That is normal on XP x86.

"ohaya" <ohaya(a)cox.net> wrote in message news:44BEEE64.E165BAD3(a)cox.net...
> Hi,
>
> I just got the additional 2GB in today, and installed it.
> Unfortunately, my mobo apparently only can handle ~3.3GB, even with 4
> sticks of 1GB RAM. Anyway, it's about 700MB more than I had before, and
> the guest hosts STILL hang occasionally.
>
> I'm running a memory test now, to see if that could be the problem, but
> does anyone have any other ideas about what the problem might be?
>
> I've also increased the swap disk size on each guest to about 2.5GB, but
> still the same problem :(!!
>
> Jim
>

> ohaya wrote:
>>
>> Colin,
>>
>> Unless I'm misunderstanding your suggestion, I don't think that I can do
>> that, because if I reduce the memory allocated for the guest hosts, as I
>> posted originally, the apps that I'm running in the guest hosts (in
>> particular, two instances of BEA WebLogic in the larger guests) won't
>> run.
>>
>> I've increased the pagefile size on the larger guests to over 2.5GB, but
>> am still having the problem.
>>
>> I have an additional 2GB of RAM on order and will try that when it gets
>> here, but if anyone has any other suggestions, please post. Also FYI, I
>> have VM Additions installed on all 3 guests.
>>
>> Jim
>>
>> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>> > One way to find out is to reduce the ram allocated until the problem
>> > dissappears.
>> >
>> > "ohaya" <ohaya(a)cox.net> wrote in message

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: RIS failed
Next: Mapping a network drive from a DOS VPC?