From: RalyDSM on
I'm running Vista Ultimate on the host pc and XP Pro in a virtual pc,
using Virtual PC 2007. I have an Abit KV-80 motherboard with a VIA
Networking Velocity Family Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.

When I launch the XP virtual pc and go to the device manager it shows
one ethernet controller under network adapters and it has the yellow
circle with an exclamation point next to it. It seems like no matter
what I do, I can't make this network adapter work.

Can anyone help me out here? Thanks!

From: Robert Comer on
Did you try and load you host NIC's drivers in the XP VM?

If so, that's your problem, VPC emulates an Intel 21140-Based PCI Fast
Ethernet Adapter, and that's the driver you need to use.

--
Bob Comer <Microsoft MVP Windows - Virtual Machine>

From: RalyDSM on
On Oct 19, 2:08 pm, Robert Comer <bobcomer-remove...(a)mindspring.com>
wrote:
> Did you try and load you host NIC's drivers in the XP VM?
>
> If so, that's your problem, VPC emulates an Intel 21140-Based PCI Fast
> Ethernet Adapter, and that's the driver you need to use.
>
> --
> Bob Comer <Microsoft MVP Windows - Virtual Machine>
>
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 10:54:49 -0700, RalyDSM <j...(a)glmotorsports.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I'm running Vista Ultimate on the host pc and XP Pro in a virtual pc,
> >using Virtual PC 2007. I have an Abit KV-80 motherboard with a VIA
> >Networking Velocity Family Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.
>
> >When I launch the XP virtual pc and go to the device manager it shows
> >one ethernet controller under network adapters and it has the yellow
> >circle with an exclamation point next to it. It seems like no matter
> >what I do, I can't make this network adapter work.
>
> >Can anyone help me out here? Thanks!

well, i started by trying to install the host pc's drivers, and that
didn't work (like you said.) So how do I go about installing the
correct drivers? I figured the drivers would have been available right
within windows xp

From: Robert Comer on
They normally are unless you have a special OEM XP that has removed
them.

I don't know where you can download a separate driver for that NIC,

--
Bob Comer

From: Bo Berglund on
wrote:

>On Oct 19, 2:08 pm, Robert Comer <bobcomer-remove...(a)mindspring.com>
>wrote:
>> Did you try and load you host NIC's drivers in the XP VM?
>>
>> If so, that's your problem, VPC emulates an Intel 21140-Based PCI Fast
>> Ethernet Adapter, and that's the driver you need to use.
>
>well, i started by trying to install the host pc's drivers, and that
>didn't work (like you said.) So how do I go about installing the
>correct drivers? I figured the drivers would have been available right
>within windows xp

I had an ASus board with a gigabit NIC that needs a special driver to
be recognized. When I install XP on it (hardware machine) I have no
network. So I had to install without networking and then inside XP I
ran the CD that came with the motherboard to get networking running in
XP. Then the hardware (host) PC was good to go.

Then install VPC and create a virtual machine and install XP in that
using valid XP install media (MSDN version).
XP setup in the virtual machine has no problems whatsoever in
discovering the NIC as the DEC 21140 type and use the drivers for that
right off the XP install CD.
Same thing on my laptop, no problems whatever when installing XP in a
VM, just don't fuss with it. Let it discover the hardware and run and
it will come up just fine.

Bo Berglund