From: Tim Frink on

> I'm not sure why you think that doesn't conform. Maybe we're just using
> terms differently.

OK, now I got it. Maybe I was little bit confused since at first glance
it seemed to me that the connection between the VNC client and the server
was not encrypted. But now it's clear.

Maybe this is now a stupid question, but in this scenario the VPN server
decrypts the messages and sends them to the Internet. So theoretically
here a sniffer may start his attach. Or do we have to assume that our
IPS is secure and attacks are not likely?

Tim
From: Maxwell Lol on
Tim Frink <plfriko(a)yahoo.de> writes:

> Thank you for your answer. Just to make sure that I understand the
> concept of VPN: Everything that I transmit via an unsafe WLAN connection
> can be theoretically sniffed by others, right?

When you set up a VPN, say - with openssl, it creates a network
interface with a new IP address.

All traffic is routed THROUGH this new interface. (Well, perhaps
anything to the local LAN may be allowed).

On my openssl connection, I have an IP address on my machine (10.0.0.1), and a
similar IP address on a remote machine. When my traffic exits through
the remote machine, all traffic comes from that other IP address.

And all traffic between these two IP addresses is encrypted.

When I kill the connectin, the routing table has to be reset so that
it routes though the original IP address.

A small thing - the routing table is updated so that all traffic goes
through the new interface. EXCEPT traffic to and from the new IP
address. That goes over the old interface. Make sense - as you can't
tunnel the tunnel. The tuinnel uses real addresses. Everything else
(non-local traffic) goes THROUGH the tunnel.

From: unruh on
On 2010-05-29, Tim Frink <plfriko(a)yahoo.de> wrote:

>> I'm not sure why you think that doesn't conform. Maybe we're just using
>> terms differently.
>
> OK, now I got it. Maybe I was little bit confused since at first glance
> it seemed to me that the connection between the VNC client and the server
> was not encrypted. But now it's clear.
>
> Maybe this is now a stupid question, but in this scenario the VPN server
> decrypts the messages and sends them to the Internet. So theoretically
> here a sniffer may start his attach. Or do we have to assume that our
> IPS is secure and attacks are not likely?
Yes. Your own computer is also a weakness.

From: Chris Davies on
Tim Frink <plfriko(a)yahoo.de> wrote:
> OK, now I got it. Maybe I was little bit confused since at first glance
> it seemed to me that the connection between the VNC client and the server
> was not encrypted. But now it's clear.

Hang on. You're saying VNC here. That's something totally different,
and in generally VNC traffic is not encrypted.

Did you perhaps really mean VPN or vpnc (which is an implementation of
CISCO IPSec VPN)?

Chris
From: David Schwartz on
On May 28, 6:50 pm, Tim Frink <plfr...(a)yahoo.de> wrote:

> OK, now I got it. Maybe I was little bit confused since at first glance
> it seemed to me that the connection between the VNC client and the server
> was not encrypted. But now it's clear.

I presume you mean VPN. VNC is something else entirely.

> Maybe this is now a stupid question, but in this scenario the VPN server
> decrypts the messages and sends them to the Internet. So theoretically
> here a sniffer may start his attach. Or do we have to assume that our
> IPS is secure and attacks are not likely?

The VPN itself deals with one, and only one, type of threat --
interception between the VPN server and the VPN client. If there are
other threats you have to deal with, you need to employ other
solutions to deal with them.

DS