From: Tim Frink on
Hi,

my university provides me with a vpn server that I would like to use in
order
to encrypt my data while using an open WiFi.

In this context, I have couple of questions:
1) What is the general idea behind a vpn? Can this be basically seen as
the
following configuration ?:

|ME| <--WLAN/unsafe--> |VPN SERVER| <--encrypted--> |Internet|

That is, I connect via an unsafe connection (like open WLAN) with a vpn
server. The data transfered here is not encrypted. The vpn server encrypts
all data such that everything that I send/receive to/from the Internet is
encrypted, hence there is no danger of sniffing data (since not useful for
attacker). This way, I basically protect all my transmitted data even
though an open, unsafe WLAN is used?

2) When I connect to the vpn server, an encrypted ssh connection is used.
However, to log in to the server I have to use the open WLAN. Is this
potentially not dangerous since someone can sniff my unencrypted vpn login
data?

3) I am using vpnc (under Linux). After connecting to the open WLAN (via
knetworkmanager), I use the vpnc-connect script that
reads my configuration file. After typing my username and password, vpnc
tells me "VPNC started in background (pid: 4162)...". When I use an
Internet browser/e-mail client ... after this, will automatically all
data be transmitted via the vpn server? Or is something else required to
redirect data to the vpn server?

4) When I understand it correctly, the vpn server will still receive all
my data in an unencrypted way. Does this mean that the provider of the
vpn server has access to my raw data? If so, is there a way to avoid this?

Thank you for your help.

Best,
Tim
From: David Schwartz on
On May 28, 5:34 am, Tim Frink <plfr...(a)yahoo.de> wrote:

> 1) What is the general idea behind a vpn? Can this be basically seen as
> the
> following configuration ?:
>
> |ME| <--WLAN/unsafe--> |VPN SERVER| <--encrypted--> |Internet|
>
> That is, I connect via an unsafe connection (like open WLAN) with a vpn
> server. The data transfered here is not encrypted. The vpn server encrypts
> all data such that everything that I send/receive to/from the Internet is
> encrypted, hence there is no danger of sniffing data (since not useful for
> attacker). This way, I basically protect all my transmitted data even
> though an open, unsafe WLAN is used?

No, you have it 100% backwards. It's

You <-> WLAN/unsafe <-> VPN Server <-> unencrypted <-> Internet

So the traffic between you and the VPN servre (which passes over the
WLAN) is encrypted.

> 2) When I connect to the vpn server, an encrypted ssh connection is used.
> However, to log in to the server I have to use the open WLAN. Is this
> potentially not dangerous since someone can sniff my unencrypted vpn login
> data?

The VPN login data is encrypted. All traffic between you and the VPN
server is encrypted.

> 4) When I understand it correctly, the vpn server will still receive all
> my data in an unencrypted way. Does this mean that the provider of the
> vpn server has access to my raw data? If so, is there a way to avoid this?

That is correct. The VPN operator must decrypt all the data it
receives from you and encrypt all your data to pass back to you over
the VPN. The point of the VPN is strictly to protect against a
stranger intercepting your WiFi traffic. It does not provide any
protection from other threats.

DS
From: Tim Frink on
> You <-> WLAN/unsafe <-> VPN Server <-> unencrypted <-> Internet
>
> So the traffic between you and the VPN servre (which passes over the
> WLAN) is encrypted.

Thank you for your answer. Just to make sure that I understand the
concept of VPN: Everything that I transmit via an unsafe WLAN connection
can be theoretically sniffed by others, right? When I now connect to
a VPN server, all the communication between me and the VPN server goes
through the unsafe WLAN. So, all data that I send has to be already
encrypted otherwise the raw data could be sniffed before reaching the
VPN server. Thus, my understanding is that everything send to the VPN
server is already encrypted, the VPN decrypts it and sends it to the
Internet to allow the Web browsers on the Internet to interpret my
data (since they don't understand the encrypted data). But this does
not conform to your "diagram". So, where do I mistake?

Tim
From: David Schwartz on
On May 28, 2:51 pm, Tim Frink <plfr...(a)yahoo.de> wrote:
> > You <-> WLAN/unsafe <-> VPN Server <-> unencrypted <-> Internet

> > So the traffic between you and the VPN servre (which passes over the
> > WLAN) is encrypted.

> Thank you for your answer. Just to make sure that I understand the
> concept of VPN: Everything that I transmit via an unsafe WLAN connection
> can be theoretically sniffed by others, right?

Correct. That's why you want to encrypt it.

> When I now connect to
> a VPN server, all the communication between me and the VPN server goes
> through the unsafe WLAN. So, all data that I send has to be already
> encrypted otherwise the raw data could be sniffed before reaching the
> VPN server.

Exactly. And it is. All data that travels over the VPN itself (the
link between you and the VPN server) is encrypted by the end that is
sending it. So it doesn't matter if it passes over the wireless.

> Thus, my understanding is that everything send to the VPN
> server is already encrypted, the VPN decrypts it and sends it to the
> Internet to allow the Web browsers on the Internet to interpret my
> data (since they don't understand the encrypted data). But this does
> not conform to your "diagram". So, where do I mistake?

I'm not sure why you think that doesn't conform. Maybe we're just
using terms differently.

Data sent from your computer over the VPN is encrypted by the VPN
software. So it doesn't matter that it's not encrypted by the WiFi
link or that someone can intercept it. Similarly, responses from the
Internet are encrypted by the VPN server, so it doesn't matter that
it's not encrypted by the WiFi link or that it can be intercepted.

DS
From: unruh on
On 2010-05-28, Tim Frink <plfriko(a)yahoo.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my university provides me with a vpn server that I would like to use in
> order
> to encrypt my data while using an open WiFi.
>
> In this context, I have couple of questions:
> 1) What is the general idea behind a vpn? Can this be basically seen as
> the
> following configuration ?:
>
>|ME| <--WLAN/unsafe--> |VPN SERVER| <--encrypted--> |Internet|

No
Me->VPN software on my own computer->encrypted->Wireless card -> remote
server->whatever.
Just as with ssh, it is encrpted on the link out of your computer.
That is why you have to install vpn software onto your machine.