From: Stefano on
Hi,
I'm trying to write an application that read ANSI file but I get
compile errors.
I'm using VC++ (2005 Pro). I'm new to this, I've been using VC++ 6.
I've set the Character Set to Multibyte and I got this error

fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'mbctype.h': No such file
or directory

How I can compile with ANSI character set for mobile devices ?

Thanks in advance,
Stefano

From: r_z_aret on
On 2 Sep 2006 00:01:21 -0700, "Stefano" <posting(a)hotmail.it> wrote:

>Hi,
> I'm trying to write an application that read ANSI file but I get
>compile errors.
>I'm using VC++ (2005 Pro). I'm new to this, I've been using VC++ 6.

I've barely tried VS 2005, so my answer may be a bit off.

>I've set the Character Set to Multibyte and I got this error
>
>fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'mbctype.h': No such file
>or directory

I found a copy of this file in the Include directory for VC 6, but not
in my copies of the SDKs for Windows CE. I've never consciously used
any of the functions it declares, so I wonder why you think you need
it.

>How I can compile with ANSI character set for mobile devices ?

I infer from this that you are trying to build for some platform (e.g.
Pocket PC or Smartphone) based on the Windows CE operating system. If
so, then you need to know that the Windows CE operating system (and
thus all platforms based on it) is heavily biased towards UNICODE. If
you don't understand all the implications of this, then I _strongly_
recommend taking time to learn them; otherwise you will waste a lot of
_your_ time on dead ends. I recommend starting by using google
(http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en) to look up
unicode
in this newsgroup.

To read an ANSI file, you need to read the bytes from that file into
an array of char (not WCHAR or TCHAR). To use those characters, you
will probably need to translate them to WCHAR. See the
MultiByteToWideChar function or wrappers such as mbstowc.

>Thanks in advance,
> Stefano

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.