From: RB on

> "JCO" wrote in message
> When I add this information to the RC2 file, I get these two errors:
> 1 CVT1100: duplicate resource, Type:VERSION, name:1, language:0x0409
> 2 LNK1123: failure during conversion to COFF: file invalid or corrupt

Well again, I am only a novice speculating, but when you say you added
this information,
Did you cut out the About Dialog segment of your rc file (so that it is
gone from that file) and then paste that exact cut into your rc2 file ?
Then try to compile, if all goes well then include your AppVer.h
file into the rc2 file, and hand edit the items in rc2 file you desire
to reflect from the header file. If you do them one at a time you should
be able to see what is causing the problem.
Also I did this using VC6 your version may have a different format
or order of items in the rc file, but none the less if you paste the
exact cut into the rc2 file and work from there you should be able
to decipher what you need. I remember David Webber said in his
version there was another way to get at the rc file text, in mine I had
to open it in notepad, which he said sometimes can cause problems
but my VC later just says it has been changed do I want to reload it,
I choose yes. I don't know of any other way to edit my version.
Good luck with it. It works great for me, I really like the setup
RB

From: JCO on
I understand the items that are added to the .rc2 file, however, are you
suppose to also edit the .rc file by commenting out everything listed under
"Version"?

From: RB on
> I understand the items that are added to the .rc2 file, however,
> are you suppose to also edit the .rc file by commenting out
> everything listed under "Version"?

Yes, and sorry I said CAbout Dialog segment earlier. Actually
at first I cut and pasted the Dialog segement also and it worked
but I lost my ability to see and edit it's other aspects in the
resource editor so I pasted it back and it held next time
VS rewrote it.
But anyhow yes the version segment, but in my VS I cannot
comment out rc file segments since the VS writes (and rewrites )
the entire file. So I cut the version segment out totally and pasted it
into the rc2 file. See other reply (but ignore dialog segment and
use version)
If your VS allows you to comment in the rc file then yea you could
do that, but unless things changed with the newer VS that file belongs
to the VS so I would think that anything you were allowed to comment
would be gone next time VS rewrote it
RB

From: JCO on
When I delete the VERSION in the .rc, I get the following link errors:

Error 1 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _GetFileVersionInfoW(a)16
referenced in function "public: void __thiscall
CAppVersionDynamicDlg::OnBnClickedButton1(void)"
(?OnBnClickedButton1(a)CAppVersionDynamicDlg@@QAEXXZ) AppVersionDynamicDlg.objAppVersionDynamicError 2 fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals E:\My
C++\AppVersionDynamic\AppVersionDynamic\Debug\AppVersionDynamic.exeAppVersionDynamicIf I don't remove anything from the .rc file, I get the other two errors I
posted earlier.
Sorry this isn't working for me. I'm not that experienced in this stuff
either.
Thanks

From: JCO on
Yes I got it to work. I had some code in the cpp file that was causing the
link error.
I will review what I have done now.. but everything seems okay and works.