From: Le Chaud Lapin on
Hi All,

I have what is surely a common situation.

1. My physical machine is runs Windows Vista + Visual Studio 2008.
2. A developer reported a crash of our application on Windows 7.
3. I loaded Windows 7 onto a VM for first time today (what a
nightmare) and put our application on the Windows 7 VM.
4. I launched msvsmon.exe on the VM.
5. I launched VS2008 on the PM and attached to the Explorer.EXE on the
VM. Explorer.EXE hosts our product, which is a DLL.
6. VS2008 on the PM does not show any symbols loaded for the C:\WINDOWS
\SYSTEM32\etc. DLL's.

While I have actually written a mini-debugger using the Win32 debugger
API, I am not sure what model Windows is using for symbols during
remote debugging. They could have done it any of a number of ways, and
in an extremely rare case of Microsoft documentation not being
unequivocally clear, they neglected to say what model they are using.

What should I do? I've downloaded Windows 7 RTM symbols to C:\Symbols
on both the PM and the VM with no success. I defined the
_NT_SYMBOL_PATH on the VM hoping that the msvsmon would know to grab
symbols as needed. This did not work.

What am I doing wrong?

-Le Chaud Lapin-
From: Le Chaud Lapin on
On Dec 1, 1:18 am, Le Chaud Lapin <jaibudu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> What am I doing wrong?

As often the case with Microsoft produces, absolutely nothing.

The problem was VS2008.

While trying to illustrate the benefit of being "Germanic" with
regards to discipline in troubleshooting to a fellow engineer, I
decided to refresh everything possible, except rebooting the host
computer, which would have masked the issue:

VS2008 on host computer needed to be started. After doing that, the
right symbols were loaded into VS2008 on host machine.

Four hours wasted on utter non-sense on something that could have
been, or could have not, but was, because somebody...

-Le Chaud Lapin-
From: Pavel A. on
Yet another sympathetic story....
The symbol client is a plug-in in the VS on the host; doing anything with
the symbols on the debug target doesn't make sense.
Of course, the VS on the host should be running.

--pa