From: Sam on
Has anybody used VSS with sql server to control the code changes of sql
server objects?

what is the best way to setup and use it?
please advice .

thank you
sam

From: Jacco Schalkwijk on
Yep. I prefer having one script for all the tables, and separate script for
each view and store procedure. After you have done the initial release you
need a separate script to make changes to tables between releases. Have a
script that builds your database from your SourceSafe project, so you can
easily and quickly test if everything still works.

--
Jacco Schalkwijk
SQL Server MVP

From: pdxJaxon on
I create 1 script to build the entire DB and all objects

Then I create subdirectories off the root for each Object type.

I then script every object individually so I can keep history on individual
objects etc.

it is VERY important that you script objectcs EXACTLY The same way every
time you generate scripts otherwise, attempting to do DIFFS between versions
is virtually impossible.

Database
Sprocs
Tables
UDFs
AgentJobs
DTS

Hope this helps

very difficult (time consuming) to manage

Greg Jackson
Portland, OR

From: Erland Sommarskog on
Sam (samirsoni(a)hotmail.com) writes:
> Has anybody used VSS with sql server to control the code changes of sql
> server objects?
>
> what is the best way to setup and use it?

It's no different from any other source code. You check out, edit, compile,
test, compile, test again and when you are done, you check in.

The fallacy which makes people believe that this is a difficult task is
that the SQL Server tools permit you to store an object directly to the
database without the source hitting the disk first. But there is no reason
to use the tools.

In our shop we use Textpad to edit our SQL code. No, Textpad has no
particular SQL support - a generic syntax-colouring facility, that's
all. But it is a lot better editor than Query Analyzer. (And Visual
Studio in my opinion.) From Textpad you can load the object directly
to a database by runing a command-line tool. That can be OSQL, although
in our shop we have our own load tool with quite some bells and
whistles.

As for structuring the code, our way of doing it is described here.
http://www.abaris.se/abaperls/doc/structure.html#sql-structure.

Some info about using Textpad (and with links to other editors) here:
http://www.abaris.se/abaperls/doc/index.html.

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
From: David Gugick on
Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Sam (samirsoni(a)hotmail.com) writes:
>> Has anybody used VSS with sql server to control the code changes of
>> sql server objects?
>>
>> what is the best way to setup and use it?
>
> It's no different from any other source code. You check out, edit,
> compile, test, compile, test again and when you are done, you check
> in.

Big TextPad fan as well. Just curious what SQL syntax file you're using
with TextPad.

--
David Gugick
Imceda Software