From: Peter The Spate on
If its not important to get the log file back then I
sugest you use the Enterprise Manager tools.

Firstly if you haven't already done it detatch the database

If your log file still resides on the machine then either
rename it or delete it (renaming is better to begin with).

Then still using the enterprise manager tools attach the
data file, a message comes up saying the log file is
missing, and it will create a new one.

Peter

"It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure,
why take the chance?"
Ronald Reagan

and now is missing.
>on onther server i tried:
> exec sp_attach_single_file_db
>@dbname = 'db_name',
>@physname = 'db_name_data.MDF'
>....and this is the error:
>Server: Msg 1813, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
>Could not open new database 'GLHP-IS'. CREATE DATABASE is
aborted.
>Device activation error. The physical file
name 'x:db_log.LDF' may be
>incorrect.
>I tried also to create a new DB with same name on same
path for the devices
>and
>after detach this db and re-execute
sp_attach_single_file_db with the old
>"db_name_data.MDF"
>and the new "db_name_log.LDF" and this is the new error:
>Server: Msg 5173, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
>Cannot associate files with different databases.
>Server: Msg 1813, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
>Could not open new database 'GLHP-IS'. CREATE DATABASE is
aborted.
>Log file 'x:db_log.LDF' does not match the primary
file. It may be from a
>different database or the log may have been rebuilt
previously.

From: Umut Nazlica on
Are you sure that db is not attached?

Did you refresh EM and see db is there.

Create a db name TEST, and dettach the db, delete the log file.

Try this: (You need the change the location regarding to your configuration)

exec sp_attach_single_file_db
@dbname = 'TEST',
@physname = 'd:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\TEST_Data.MDF'

You'll get:

Device activation error. The physical file name 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft
SQL Server\MSSQL\data\TEST_Log.LDF' may be incorrect.
New log file 'd:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\TEST_log.LDF'
was created.

new log file will be created and you can see the db in EM.

From: Tibor Karaszi on
> new log file will be created and you can see the db in EM.

A new log file can only be created under certain circumstances:

1. Database was cleanly detached.
2. Database has only two files: one database mdf file and one log file.

If above two are not true, we are left to pure luck if sp_attach_single_file db work or fail. This
is clearly documented in Books Online. Andrea didn't mention whether both above conditions are
satisfied, so attaching cannot be expected to work.

For Andrea, best now it to restore from most recent backup. If that is undesirable, contact
Microsoft Support.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp

From: Andrea Perrotta on
i'm agree with you but the most recent backup is dated nov 2004....
the problem now is the recovery of this mdf file and his recent data...
the database are wasn't cleanly detached, but it has only two files: one
database mdf file and one log file
but now i have only mdf file ...
Someone have a solution please?
thank's in advance.
Andrea Perrotta
"Tibor Karaszi" <tibor_please.no.email_karaszi(a)hotmail.nomail.com> wrote in
message news:#DPe4GCFFHA.2784(a)TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

From: Peter The Spate on
Is your db in a suspect status ?

If so you could try a detach db command, using the
enterprise manager tools, then try a attach command.

Apologies if the early advise was a load of dingos kidneys.

Peter

"The best minds are not in government. If any were,
business would steal them away."
Ronald Reagan

-----