From: David Bahde on
I have a functioning Windows XP Pro system on a VT7 motherboard.
It has an IDE drive on the primary master and a DVD drive on the
secondary master.

I want to add an additional hard drive for storage (Seagate 1.5T
Barracuda; I have jumpered it down to 1.5Gb/sec, per the manual)

Upon installing the hard drive and connecting it to the motherboard it
is not recognized by the bios, and I see no setting in the CMOS that
state anything like "activate SATA ports"

When booting the system the first three lines read:
-VIA Tech VIA8237 Serial ATA Raid Bios Setting Util v 2.21
-Serial_CH0 Master: No Device
-Serial_CH1 Master: No Device

The system continues to function with Windows XP Pro; I just can not
get the motherboard to recognize the SATA drive.

I hear no sounds from the SATA drive, but do believe something is
happening as it does get warm after it's been in there a while. Not
uncharacteristically hot, just warm like a hard drive.

Any suggestions on next steps?

Thanks.
From: Paul on
David Bahde wrote:
> I have a functioning Windows XP Pro system on a VT7 motherboard.
> It has an IDE drive on the primary master and a DVD drive on the
> secondary master.
>
> I want to add an additional hard drive for storage (Seagate 1.5T
> Barracuda; I have jumpered it down to 1.5Gb/sec, per the manual)
>
> Upon installing the hard drive and connecting it to the motherboard it
> is not recognized by the bios, and I see no setting in the CMOS that
> state anything like "activate SATA ports"
>
> When booting the system the first three lines read:
> -VIA Tech VIA8237 Serial ATA Raid Bios Setting Util v 2.21
> -Serial_CH0 Master: No Device
> -Serial_CH1 Master: No Device
>
> The system continues to function with Windows XP Pro; I just can not
> get the motherboard to recognize the SATA drive.
>
> I hear no sounds from the SATA drive, but do believe something is
> happening as it does get warm after it's been in there a while. Not
> uncharacteristically hot, just warm like a hard drive.
>
> Any suggestions on next steps?
>
> Thanks.

Well, assume for the moment, that the BIOS won't boot from it. Let's
try to make it work as a data drive, as a first step. That means
what the BIOS thinks, doesn't matter.

If you're in Windows, do you have a driver installed for the SATA port ?
If you look in Device Manager, can you see something for the SATA ?
If so, if you look in Disk Management, are you seeing an unpartitioned
new item in the drive display ?

(Picture of Disk Management plugin...)
http://www.dedoimedo.com/images/computers/2009/win-disk-task-not-initialized.jpg

Viaarena.com has drivers. I see a couple possibilities.

The basic chipset drivers, may provide a driver for the SATA interface.
Is the chipset PT880/VT8237 ?

Try the Hyperion Pro driver first. It is similar to the VIA 4-in-1, but
for later chipsets. I think that is what I'm using currently, to
make a single drive work on my VT8238S. The VT8237S is a VT8237,
with SATA II capability. (I didn't need a RAID driver, just the
chipset driver was enough for me.)

Hyperion Pro (basic chipset driver)
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1070

The RAID driver is less likely to make you happy, but I'll show
a link for that as well. (Sometimes, to figure out what these
drivers do, I have to download both packages, and have a look
at the README file. The README file may make different claims
for the driver, than the Viaarena description text.) I haven't
a clue, when you'd use the Falcon, but if you use a program
like 7ZIP, you can always unzip the file and have a look at the
component parts before installing it.

(VRAID driver)
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1180&SubCatID=143

(Good for extracting or picking apart downloads)
http://www.7-zip.org/

To download from Viaarena, *only* press the black outlined rectangle.
The page has many advertising links - don't click any "driver scan" links.

Good luck,
Paul
From: Paul on
David Bahde wrote:
> I have a functioning Windows XP Pro system on a VT7 motherboard.
> It has an IDE drive on the primary master and a DVD drive on the
> secondary master.
>
> I want to add an additional hard drive for storage (Seagate 1.5T
> Barracuda; I have jumpered it down to 1.5Gb/sec, per the manual)
>
> Upon installing the hard drive and connecting it to the motherboard it
> is not recognized by the bios, and I see no setting in the CMOS that
> state anything like "activate SATA ports"
>
> When booting the system the first three lines read:
> -VIA Tech VIA8237 Serial ATA Raid Bios Setting Util v 2.21
> -Serial_CH0 Master: No Device
> -Serial_CH1 Master: No Device
>
> The system continues to function with Windows XP Pro; I just can not
> get the motherboard to recognize the SATA drive.
>
> I hear no sounds from the SATA drive, but do believe something is
> happening as it does get warm after it's been in there a while. Not
> uncharacteristically hot, just warm like a hard drive.
>
> Any suggestions on next steps?
>
> Thanks.

(server glitch, resent...)

From: David Bahde on
Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
>The RAID driver is less likely to make you happy, but I'll show
>a link for that as well. (Sometimes, to figure out what these
>drivers do, I have to download both packages, and have a look
>at the README file. The README file may make different claims
>for the driver, than the Viaarena description text.) I haven't
>a clue, when you'd use the Falcon, but if you use a program
>like 7ZIP, you can always unzip the file and have a look at the
>component parts before installing it.
>
>(VRAID driver)
>http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1180&SubCatID=143
>
>(Good for extracting or picking apart downloads)
>http://www.7-zip.org/
>
>To download from Viaarena, *only* press the black outlined rectangle.
>The page has many advertising links - don't click any "driver scan" links.

Starting at the top:
I have no driver installed for the SATA port. In fact in Device
Manager there is nothing for the SATA. Under IDE Drives there was no
reference to SATA. I went through a manual hardware install and there
were choices for five VIA Serial ATA controllers; I've tried adding
each of them but they do not turn on; they have the yellow exclamation
point.

I attempted to load various versions of SATA drivers but was not
successful in solving the problem.

1) Perhaps I should add a VIA Serial ATA controller, and then try to
add the Hyperion Pro driver set.

2) There seemed to be a VIA Raid tool that was installed along the
way, and in Device Manager under SCSI and RAID tools there was an
entry, but it also had a yellow exclamation point; I've disabled that.

3) Beyond this I am lost for next steps; any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks.
And then, one day, you find, ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.
From: Paul on
David Bahde wrote:

> Starting at the top:
> I have no driver installed for the SATA port. In fact in Device
> Manager there is nothing for the SATA. Under IDE Drives there was no
> reference to SATA. I went through a manual hardware install and there
> were choices for five VIA Serial ATA controllers; I've tried adding
> each of them but they do not turn on; they have the yellow exclamation
> point.
>
> I attempted to load various versions of SATA drivers but was not
> successful in solving the problem.
>
> 1) Perhaps I should add a VIA Serial ATA controller, and then try to
> add the Hyperion Pro driver set.
>
> 2) There seemed to be a VIA Raid tool that was installed along the
> way, and in Device Manager under SCSI and RAID tools there was an
> entry, but it also had a yellow exclamation point; I've disabled that.
>
> 3) Beyond this I am lost for next steps; any help would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
> And then, one day, you find, ten years have got behind you.
> No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

I can tell you what is in my Device Manager, but mine is a different
chip, so the Devices will have different numbers. (The SATA controller
cannot have the same number. The IDE might, because that part of the
design probably hasn't changed.

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
Primary IDE Channel atapi.sys, storprop.dll (sounds like default Microsoft) 1106-0571
Secondary IDE Channel (same as previous one)
VIA Bus Master IDE Controller - 0571 videX32.sys (available in Falcon driver or Hyperion Pro chipset)
VIA Serial ATA Channel 0 - 5372 ViPrt.sys (available in SataIDE folder of Hyperion Pro, not Falcon)
VIA Serial ATA Channel 1 - 5372 (same as previous one, 1106-5372 hardware id)
VIA Serial ATA Controller - 5372 ViBus.sys 1106-5372

So it looks like the IDE came from my Microsoft WinXP SP3 disc, while
the SATA ones from the Hyperion Pro 5.12 chipset driver package
(not the RAID, and not the Falcon package).

I found a copy of your manual. On the first attempt, I got a bogus error
from the download server. A second click succeeded.

ftp://ftp-usa.abit.com.tw/pub/download/manual/english/vt7.zip

I see an item in the BIOS screens

"VIA Onchip IDE Devices" BIOS setup page

SATA RAID ROM [enable,disable]

My board is a bit different, in that it has two SATA
related settings. One apparently controls the RAID setup
screen, while a second setting puts the controller in
RAID or non-RAID mode. It is possible the enumeration is
reported differently, depending on that setting, and
that is how Device Manager figures out which driver
is appropriate. On your board, it could be that the
two are tied together (which makes more sense anyway,
that one BIOS setting enable or disable RAID mode).

Yours could be 1106-3149 hardware ID, just a guess. 1106 = VIA
and 3149 is officially listed at VT6420 (logic block used in
a separate chip, as well as inside some Southbridges).

http://pciids.sourceforge.net/pci.ids

If I look in the Hyperion Pro package, the file ViPrt.inf is probably
what has installed my SATA ports. The hardware IDs listed as valid are:

%PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149&CC_0101.DeviceDesc%=StorageBus_Inst_x32, PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149&CC_0101
%PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3349&CC_0101.DeviceDesc%=StorageBus_Inst_x32, PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3349&CC_0101
%PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_0581&CC_0101.DeviceDesc%=StorageBus_Inst_x32, PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_0581&CC_0101
%PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_0591&CC_0101.DeviceDesc%=StorageBus_Inst_x32, PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_0591&CC_0101
%PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_5287&CC_0101.DeviceDesc%=StorageBus_Inst_x32, PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_5287&CC_0101
%PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_5324&CC_0101.DeviceDesc%=StorageBus_Inst_x32, PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_5324&CC_0101
%PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_5337&CC_0101.DeviceDesc%=StorageBus_Inst_x32, PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_5337&CC_0101
%PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_5372&CC_0101.DeviceDesc%=StorageBus_Inst_x32, PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_5372&CC_0101

So yours is likely the first one in the list, and mine is the last (since
my chip can out in the last couple years).

About all I can suggest at this point, is to verify
the "SATA RAID ROM" in the BIOS is [disabled], and
see if the driver situation changes.

Paul

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2