From: Mr Sensible on
On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 22:48 +0100, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:

Only just found this in my list of things to reply to!

> > Can Watcom C/C++ build VXDs for WFWG 3.11?

> Yes. People have done that very thing.

> > What else would I need?

> There are VXDs in OpenWatcom that are built using nothing but
> OpenWatcom itself. But the build mechanism — from a quick glance
> through it — only provides enough libraries, include files, headers,
> and whatnot to support building those specific VxDs.

Good, that's all I needed to know.

> For general-purpose VxD development, without the extra effort of
> having to create your own libraries and headers from scratch, you'll
> therefore need the DOS-Windows 3.x/9x/ME DDK. It's not free software,
> and so of course doesn't come with free softwares such as OpenWatcom.
> Microsoft itself won't give it to you any more. And it has been so
> long that most of the people who were passing it around under the
> table don't do so any more.

That isn't a problem, thanks. One of the things I'm interested in is
writing graphic drivers for WFWG 3.x installations on more modern PCs.
--
http://www.munted.org.uk

One very high maintenance cat living here.