From: philo on
Someone just gave me a working Vadem
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vadem_Clio

It boots up so I thought I'd fool with it

the only way I could get data out of it would be through a serial port

it's got no floppy

anyone know anything about this old relic?
From: kony on
On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 08:07:56 -0600, philo
<philo(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>Someone just gave me a working Vadem
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vadem_Clio
>

>It boots up so I thought I'd fool with it
>

>the only way I could get data out of it would be through a serial port
>
>it's got no floppy
>

>anyone know anything about this old relic?

Your link shows it has a CFII card inside, what if you pull
the card and access in a reader? If nothing else it might
be a handy way to make a backup of the OS before
experimenting with it.
From: philo on
kony wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 08:07:56 -0600, philo
> <philo(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Someone just gave me a working Vadem
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vadem_Clio
>>

>> It boots up so I thought I'd fool with it
>>

>> the only way I could get data out of it would be through a serial port
>>
>> it's got no floppy
>>

>> anyone know anything about this old relic?
>

> Your link shows it has a CFII card inside, what if you pull
> the card and access in a reader? If nothing else it might
> be a handy way to make a backup of the OS before
> experimenting with it.

Thanks for the feedback

I tried putting a CF card in the machine

and when it booted up it did recognize it (I got a message that a CF
card was inserted)

but still I see no way to access it

The machine has a very limited Windows Explorer

and the card did not appear anywhere

This should keep me busy for a while
From: ~misfit~ on
Somewhere on teh intarwebs philo wrote:
> kony wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 08:07:56 -0600, philo
>> <philo(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Someone just gave me a working Vadem
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vadem_Clio
>>>

>>> It boots up so I thought I'd fool with it
>>>

>>> the only way I could get data out of it would be through a serial
>>> port it's got no floppy
>>>

>>> anyone know anything about this old relic?
>>

>> Your link shows it has a CFII card inside, what if you pull
>> the card and access in a reader? If nothing else it might
>> be a handy way to make a backup of the OS before
>> experimenting with it.
>

> Thanks for the feedback
>
> I tried putting a CF card in the machine
>
> and when it booted up it did recognize it (I got a message that a CF
> card was inserted)
>
> but still I see no way to access it
>

> The machine has a very limited Windows Explorer
>
> and the card did not appear anywhere
>

> This should keep me busy for a while

Perhaps the formatting (or lack thereof?) of the CF card was the problem?
Also the capacity perhaps. Something of this vintage would probably be
limited in the size CF card it could address.

Good luck, you have a piece of history there.
--
Shaun.

From: philo on
~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs philo wrote:
>> kony wrote:

>>> Your link shows it has a CFII card inside, what if you pull
>>> the card and access in a reader? If nothing else it might
>>> be a handy way to make a backup of the OS before
>>> experimenting with it.
>>

>> Thanks for the feedback
>>
>> I tried putting a CF card in the machine
>>
>> and when it booted up it did recognize it (I got a message that a CF
>> card was inserted)
>>
>> but still I see no way to access it
>>

>> The machine has a very limited Windows Explorer
>>
>> and the card did not appear anywhere
>>

>> This should keep me busy for a while
>
> Perhaps the formatting (or lack thereof?) of the CF card was the problem?
> Also the capacity perhaps. Something of this vintage would probably be
> limited in the size CF card it could address.
>
> Good luck, you have a piece of history there.

Don't know

I out in an old 8 meg card and can find no way to access it

Anyway the guy who gave it to me said he *might* still have the manual
for it somewhere.

FWIW: When he told me he was going to give me his old Vadem to the time
he actually gave it to me was 13 months...