From: Anonymous on
In article <Azukh.41497$wP1.30896(a)newssvr14.news.prodigy.net>,
Michael Mattias <mmattias(a)talsystems.com> wrote:
><docdwarf(a)panix.com> wrote in message news:emtrt6$an3$1(a)reader2.panix.com...

>>>Sorry to be jumping in so late, and I apologize if this has already been
>>>suggested, but the answer is, "TESTA should not require definition in a
>>>COBOL FD."
>>> ... [straightforward solution to problem]...
>
>> Now, now, Mr Mattias... saying 'This question is invalid' isn't always the
>> best way to get a good grade on one's homework assignment, is it?
>
>You sure have a strange way of saying, "Damn, I wish I had thought of that!"

So strange, Mr Mattias, that I've never posted it to this newsgroup.

>(See also: today's post from yours truly in the "interview" thread re what
>consultants are actually paid to do).

I barely know what *I* have been paid to do, Mr Mattias, let alone
'consultants'... now, has your own drum ceased misbehaving or do you see
further need to beat it?

DD

From: Michael Mattias on
<docdwarf(a)panix.com> wrote in message news:emtu6l$plb$1(a)reader2.panix.com...
> . now, has your own drum ceased misbehaving or do you see
> further need to beat it?

It had just been so long since I had posted I felt obliged to contribute.

Now if that contribution turns into a piece of shameless self-promotion,
well... I guess it's not just the Irish who have luck, it's also the Polish
kids from the South Side of Milwaukeee...... then again...
http://www.friggatriskaidekaphobia.com/quotes.html

MCM

From: Howard Brazee on
Shops I was with used to use variable length files quite a bit until
around a couple of decades ago - when they switched to files with
header and detail records for variable data - which dominated for a
decade or so until they switched to external databases for the same
kind of data.
From: William M. Klein on
Anyone interested in things related to "FS=39" in an IBM z/OS environment (with
a currently supported compiler) may want to look at:

"APPENDIX1.8 Appendix H. Preventing file status 39 for QSAM files"

at

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/IGY3MG31/APPENDIX1.8

As mentioned earlier, if you have (historically) used RECFM=U to handle some of
these issues, you should also read:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/IGY3MG31/3.5.4

--
Bill Klein
wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

From: Pete Dashwood on

<docdwarf(a)panix.com> wrote in message news:emtr65$6b5$1(a)reader2.panix.com...
> In article <4vf1ffF1c13jbU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
> Pete Dashwood <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>><docdwarf(a)panix.com> wrote in message
>>> In article <4vdr12F1botahU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
<snip>

>>As I don't have access to this environment I can't do it myself, but I'd
>>be
>>very interested to see what happens if the Picture of the 01 following the
>>FD was made the same as the LRECL size...
>
> Therein lies the difficulty, Mr Dashwood... as I understand the original
> poster's request the LRECL of TESTA changes from one run to the next;
> there is no *the* LRECL size. Once again, from
> <http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.cobol/msg/e2bd0f47c45850c8?dmode=source>
>
> --begin quoted text:
>
> TESTA doesn't always have the same LRECL. Sometime TESTA will be defined
> in the JCL with LRECL=30. Other times, it will be have LRECL=70. And so
> on. My problem is how should TESTA be represented in FD?
>
> --end quoted text

Ah, yes...I had overlooked that. Thanks for clarifying. It looks to me like
RECFM=VB has to be a requisite (maybe RECFM=U, though I've not had any
experience with that...). If it CAN be done with RECFM=FB, it'll be very
interesting to see how...

Thanks for your time.

Pete.