From: Rick DeNatale on
On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 7:35 AM, Jacob Mitchell
<jacob.d.mitchell(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Search for "code golf".  I personally have enjoyed
> http://golf.shinh.org/because the problems tend to be very simple.  It
> helps you learn the pros
> and cons of various languages.
>
> -Jake

I strongly disagree that code golf is a good learning exercise for a beginner.

The first goal of newbie should be to learn to write clean understandable code.

Code golf, where the goal is to write a program in the minimum of
characters, might be an interesting intellectual exercise, but it
leads to writing cryptic code which is just the opposite of what a
beginner should be learning.

Besides Dave Thomas code katas which Ryan mentioned. It might be
worthwhile to have a look at the old RubyQuiz site

http://rubyquiz.com/

--
Rick DeNatale

Github: http://github.com/rubyredrick
Twitter: @RickDeNatale

From: Jacob Mitchell on

The way I've used code golf breaks with tradition. I try to write clean yet
concise code that solves the problem. It's a great way to start playing
with a language that you're not familiar with because, again, the problem
statements are *very* simple. It has helped me learn the basics of various
languages like the back of my hand.

-Jake

From: Rein Henrichs on
On 2010-06-07 04:45:51 -0700, Rick DeNatale said:

> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 7:35 AM, Jacob Mitchell
> <jacob.d.mitchell(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Search for "code golf". �I personally have enjoyed
>> http://golf.shinh.org/because the problems tend to be very simple. �It
>> helps you learn the pros
>> and cons of various languages.
>>
>> -Jake
>
> I strongly disagree that code golf is a good learning exercise for a beginner.
>
> The first goal of newbie should be to learn to write clean understandable code.
>
> Code golf, where the goal is to write a program in the minimum of
> characters, might be an interesting intellectual exercise, but it
> leads to writing cryptic code which is just the opposite of what a
> beginner should be learning.
>
> Besides Dave Thomas code katas which Ryan mentioned. It might be
> worthwhile to have a look at the old RubyQuiz site
>
> http://rubyquiz.com/
>
> --
> Rick DeNatale
>
> Blog: http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/
> Github: http://github.com/rubyredrick
> Twitter: @RickDeNatale
> WWR: http://www.workingwithrails.com/person/9021-rick-denatale
> LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/rickdenatale

Agreed on all points, Rick. Ruby Quiz is a treasure trove of
interesting Ruby problems and solutions. Also, code katas as mentioned
previously are a great way to train your "muscle memory" and ingrain
proper idioms and techniques. Highly recommended.

--
Rein Henrichs
http://puppetlabs.com

From: Daniel Berger on
Lakshmanan Muthukrishnan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am reading ruby from the book "Programming ruby" and that book lacks
> programming exercises. I want to work out some problems in ruby.
>
> Please point me towards a good resource on the net or it can be a book
> also.

Maybe it's name changed?

$ gem search -r nntp

*** REMOTE GEMS ***

nntp (1.0.0)
ruby-net-nntp (1.0.0)

Regards,

Dan

From: Benoit Daloze on
Hi,
On 7 June 2010 09:31, Josh Cheek <josh.cheek(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 11:48 PM, Lakshmanan Muthukrishnan <
> lakshmanan(a)vinsol.com> wrote:
>
> If you like math, projecteuler.net is a good choice, math problems whose
> scope is large enough that they usually require writing a program in order
> to solve them. Hardcore number crunching isn't a great domain for Ruby,
> though, and the problems get quite advanced pretty quickly. I maxed out at
> 140 solved. But the problem solving skills of math complement the problem
> solving skills of programming (imo, anyway). I found it very helpful for
> developing problem solving skills, and figuring out how to transform what I
> have into what I want.

I would like to thank you for the link to project Euler, it is really
interesting !

>> Please point me towards a good resource on the net or it can be a book
>> also.
I would also recommend Ruby Quiz

Regards,
B.D.