From: Raymond Toy on
On 2/23/10 3:45 AM, Antti "Andy" Ylikoski wrote:
> David Thole wrote:
>> Slobodan Blazeski <slobodan.blazeski(a)gmail.com> writes:

>>> Is there any specific advantage of using an GCL while there is a ton
>>> of an implementations both OSS and commercial ones that implement full
>>> ANSI Common Lisp standard together with many other useful features?
>>>
>>> Bobi
>>
>> I'm also a bit curious about this, in that, does the GCL program
>> generate machine code that's smaller than something equivalent in the
>> sb-ext:save-lisp-and-die function within sbcl? If it does, I can see
>> that being an advantage...quite honestly, a 45+Mb executable is a bit
>> painful when trying to get it to work on the TA's computer (an active
>> problem of mine).
>>
>> I haven't used GCL though, or if it supports asdf or anything else - so
>> yeah...heh.
>>

> The GNU Common LISP is rather old, and has severe flaws, eg. it does not
> have CLOS...

You are mistaken. GCL does have CLOS. It uses PCL. I recall even the
ancient 2.4 version had CLOS, although I think PCL was an add-on at the
time. Recent versions include pcl as part of the build---at least 2.6.8
does.

Ray
From: "Antti "Andy" Ylikoski" on
Raymond Toy wrote:
> On 2/23/10 3:45 AM, Antti "Andy" Ylikoski wrote:
>> David Thole wrote:

>>> I'm also a bit curious about this, in that, does the GCL program
>>> generate machine code that's smaller than something equivalent in the
>>> sb-ext:save-lisp-and-die function within sbcl? If it does, I can see
>>> that being an advantage...quite honestly, a 45+Mb executable is a bit
>>> painful when trying to get it to work on the TA's computer (an active
>>> problem of mine).
>>>
>>> I haven't used GCL though, or if it supports asdf or anything else - so
>>> yeah...heh.
>>>
>> The GNU Common LISP is rather old, and has severe flaws, eg. it does not
>> have CLOS...
>
> You are mistaken. GCL does have CLOS. It uses PCL. I recall even the
> ancient 2.4 version had CLOS, although I think PCL was an add-on at the
> time. Recent versions include pcl as part of the build---at least 2.6.8
> does.
>
> Ray

OK, I see, thank you.

Could you please tell me where I could download a version of the GNU
Common LISP which does have CLOS (yes, in the form of PCL.)

regards, Antti J. Ylikoski
Helsinki, Finland, the E.U.
From: Raymond Toy on
On 2/24/10 3:17 AM, Antti "Andy" Ylikoski wrote:
> Raymond Toy wrote:
>> On 2/23/10 3:45 AM, Antti "Andy" Ylikoski wrote:
>> You are mistaken. GCL does have CLOS. It uses PCL. I recall even the
>> ancient 2.4 version had CLOS, although I think PCL was an add-on at the
>> time. Recent versions include pcl as part of the build---at least 2.6.8
>> does.
>>
>> Ray
>
> OK, I see, thank you.
>
> Could you please tell me where I could download a version of the GNU
> Common LISP which does have CLOS (yes, in the form of PCL.)

A few seconds with google produced
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcl/binaries/stable/ which appear to be for
Windows. But you can probably get binaries for common Linux
distributions. ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gcl appears to have sources for
various versions.

Ray
From: "Antti "Andy" Ylikoski" on
Raymond Toy wrote:
> On 2/24/10 3:17 AM, Antti "Andy" Ylikoski wrote:
>> Raymond Toy wrote:
>>> On 2/23/10 3:45 AM, Antti "Andy" Ylikoski wrote:
>>> You are mistaken. GCL does have CLOS. It uses PCL. I recall even the
>>> ancient 2.4 version had CLOS, although I think PCL was an add-on at the
>>> time. Recent versions include pcl as part of the build---at least 2.6.8
>>> does.
>>>
>>> Ray
>> OK, I see, thank you.
>>
>> Could you please tell me where I could download a version of the GNU
>> Common LISP which does have CLOS (yes, in the form of PCL.)
>
> A few seconds with google produced
> http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcl/binaries/stable/ which appear to be for
> Windows. But you can probably get binaries for common Linux
> distributions. ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gcl appears to have sources for
> various versions.
>
> Ray

Are you certain that that version of the GCL has the CLOS?

I wrote the following short CLOS test, and loading the file into the GCL
ended with an error message, whereas with the Clozure CCL the file will
load impeccably.

------------------------------

;;; Test of CLOS.

(defclass a () (zap))

(defclass b () (zup))

(defclass c () (zip))

(defclass alla (a b c) (zop))

(defmethod a-print ((x a)) (print 'foo-bar-baz))

;;; With GNU Common LISP, exits with the error message
;;; "Error: The function DEFCLASS is undefined."
;;;
;;; With the Clozure Common Lisp Version 1.4-r13122 (WindowsX8664),
;;; the file loads with no difficulties.
;;;
;;;

------------------------------

One plausible explanation is that that version of GCL has the CLOS but
it needs to be (LOAD ...) ed from somewhere. Portable CommonLOOPS was
such a system.

regards, Antti Ylikoski
Helsinki, Finland, the E.U.
From: Raymond Toy on
On 3/4/10 5:23 AM, Antti "Andy" Ylikoski wrote:
> Raymond Toy wrote:

>>> OK, I see, thank you.
>>>
>>> Could you please tell me where I could download a version of the GNU
>>> Common LISP which does have CLOS (yes, in the form of PCL.)
>>
>> A few seconds with google produced
>> http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcl/binaries/stable/ which appear to be for
>> Windows. But you can probably get binaries for common Linux
>> distributions. ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gcl appears to have sources for
>> various versions.
>>
>> Ray
>
> Are you certain that that version of the GCL has the CLOS?

No, I'm not sure. I built gcl2.6.8 myself.

> I wrote the following short CLOS test, and loading the file into the GCL
> ended with an error message, whereas with the Clozure CCL the file will
> load impeccably.

Your test works for me.

> ;;; With GNU Common LISP, exits with the error message
> ;;; "Error: The function DEFCLASS is undefined."

Well, maybe (apropos "defclass") will be helpful. Or even (find-package
"PCL"). I guess if the latter fails, that means the binaries don't
have CLOS.

I didn't do anything special when I built gcl, other than configuring
with --enable-ansi.

Ray