From: "Antti "Andy" Ylikoski" on
The version of the GNU Common LISP that I'm currently using in my PC
does not have the Common LISP Object System.

Does there exist a version of the GCL that contains the CLOS, or has
somebody written a CLOS system for the GCL?

Antti Ylikoski
Helsinki Univ of Tech
Helsinki, Finland, the EU
From: Pillsy on
On Jan 31, 10:22 am, "Antti \"Andy\" Ylikoski"
<antti.yliko...(a)hut.fi>
[...]
> Does there exist a version of the GCL that contains the CLOS, or has
> somebody written a CLOS system for the GCL?

It isn't GCL, but have you looked at ECL (Embeddable Common Lisp)?
It's also free software (LGPL), has a shared ancestry with GCL as both
are descended from Kyoto Common Lisp, and also uses C as the target
language for compilation.

In addition to that, it's actively maintained and has CLOS.

HTH,
Pillsy

From: Tamas K Papp on
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 17:22:25 +0200, Antti \"Andy\" Ylikoski wrote:

> The version of the GNU Common LISP that I'm currently using in my PC
> does not have the Common LISP Object System.
>
> Does there exist a version of the GCL that contains the CLOS, or has
> somebody written a CLOS system for the GCL?

AFAIK it can be enabled by setting an environment variable to a
non-empty string:

$ GCL_ANSI="y" gcl
GCL (GNU Common Lisp) 2.6.7 ANSI Dec 6 2008 12:36:53
Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp), GPL(unexec,bfd,xgcl)
Binary License: GPL due to GPL'ed components: (XGCL READLINE BFD UNEXEC)
Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible license
Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter

Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.
Temporary directory for compiler files set to /tmp/

>(defgeneric foo (bar))

#<compiled-closure FOO>

That said, are you sure that you want to use GCL? I would suggest
considering ECL.

Tamas
From: piscesboy on
wrote:
> The version of the GNU Common LISP that I'm currently using in my PC
> does not have the Common LISP Object System.
>
> Does there exist a version of the GCL that contains the CLOS, or has
> somebody written a CLOS system for the GCL?
>
> Antti Ylikoski
> Helsinki Univ of Tech
> Helsinki, Finland, the EU

Might also want to consider CCL. (Clozure Common Lisp) It has a
garbage collector written in hand optimized C.
From: kodifik on
On Jan 31, 5:31 pm, Tamas K Papp <tkp...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> $ GCL_ANSI="y" gcl
> GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.6.7 ANSI    Dec  6 2008 12:36:53

In case you are using Debian or Ubuntu, as I deduce from
that banner, the preferred way to do this is by modifying
the file /etc/default/gcl

The profiler is also worth activating in the same file.

ANSI compliance is pretty good, CLOS included.