From: Michael Wood on
On 29 March 2010 12:10, OmBreNoiRe <sambalist.nsp(a)ombrenoire.biz> wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I would like to remove from listing the "Icon?" files created by mac user
> when they customize their folder icon.
>
> So I did in my smb.conf :
> veto files = /Icon?/
>
> ok it's working, but "Icone" "Iconx" "Icons" will be removed too. I tried
> veto files = /Icon\?/ but it's not working,
> Is there a way to use question mark (?) but not as a wild-card ?
>
> Thanks in advance for your answer,

I don't know how to veto it, but that is not a question mark. It's
just displayed that way by the ls command. It's actually a \r
(Ctrl-M) character (i.e. a Mac end of line character.)

If you do this you should see that:

$ echo Icon* | hexdump -C
00000000 49 63 6f 6e 0d 0a |Icon..|
00000006

6e is the 'n'. 0d is the \r character and 0a is the \n character that
echo prints at the end of the line. i.e. the 0a is not part of the
filename.

You might even be able to see it by typing "echo Icon<TAB>". If I do
that on a Mac in the Terminal (haven't tried on Linux), then when I
press the TAB key it expands to look like "echo Icon^M"

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot(a)gmail.com>
Indeed you're write, it's Icon^M

Is it possible to veto it ? Nobody knows ?

Thanks

On 29 March 2010 15:39, OmBreNoiRe <sambalist.nsp(a)ombrenoire.biz> wrote:
> Indeed you're write, it's Icon^M
>
> Is it possible to veto it ? Nobody knows ?

I don't know, but have you tried something like /Icon\r/?

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot(a)gmail.com>
Yes I tried, not working, it seems that samba doesn't understand the
backslash-things..

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:10:00PM +0200, OmBreNoiRe wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I would like to remove from listing the "Icon?" files created by mac =20
> user when they customize their folder icon.
>
> So I did in my smb.conf :
> veto files =3D /Icon?/

This doesn't solve your problem, but I thought I'd mention it for others
finding this. I think /Icon[?]/ should properly match a file named
Icon?.

As for matching \r, a literal ^M in the config file might work. Try
hitting Control-V followed by Control-M on your keyboard. It should
create a literal ^M as opposed to a ^ followed by M.

> ok it's working, but "Icone" "Iconx" "Icons" will be removed too. I =20
> tried veto files =3D /Icon\?/ but it's not working,
> Is there a way to use question mark (?) but not as a wild-card ?
>
> Thanks in advance for your answer,
>
> Best regards,
>
> OmBreNoiRe
> --=20