From: Ben Myers on
On 8/3/2010 10:01 PM, WaIIy wrote:

> Will this work ?
>
> Dell Optiplex 170L
>
> 256 MB nVidia GeForce FX5500 PCI VGA Video Card
>
> Thanks a lot

Yes, it will. PCi, not PCI-Express... Ben Myers
From: Christopher Muto on
WaIIy wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 00:39:58 -0400, Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/3/2010 10:01 PM, WaIIy wrote:
>>> Will this work ?
>>>
>>> Dell Optiplex 170L
>>>
>>> 256 MB nVidia GeForce FX5500 PCI VGA Video Card
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot
>> Yes, it will. PCi, not PCI-Express... Ben Myers
>
> Thanks very much for letting me know.

you did not mention the size of your machine. the optiplex 170l came in
either "small desktop" or "mini-tower" chasis. the "mini-tower" can
accept a regular size pci video card. the "small desktop" has one slot
that only accept a "low profile" pci video card. the "small desktop"
also has an optional (you may or may not have) riser card and pci card
cage that would allow it to accept a regular size pci card.
what the two look like
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/op170l/en/UG/index.htm
what the back of the "small desktop" looks like (with vertical low
profile slot (labled 4) and optional horizontal regular size pci slots
(labeled 5). just becuase you see the regular sized slots on the rear
of the machine does not mean you have the optional riser card and cage
to use these slots. look inside of the machine.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/op170l/en/UG/sdabout.htm#1051659

From: Christopher Muto on
WaIIy wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 08:51:29 -0400, Christopher Muto
> <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>> WaIIy wrote:

>>> Thanks very much for letting me know.
>> you did not mention the size of your machine. the optiplex 170l came in
>> either "small desktop" or "mini-tower" chasis. the "mini-tower" can
>> accept a regular size pci video card. the "small desktop" has one slot
>> that only accept a "low profile" pci video card. the "small desktop"
>> also has an optional (you may or may not have) riser card and pci card
>> cage that would allow it to accept a regular size pci card.
>> what the two look like
>> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/op170l/en/UG/index.htm
>> what the back of the "small desktop" looks like (with vertical low
>> profile slot (labled 4) and optional horizontal regular size pci slots
>> (labeled 5). just becuase you see the regular sized slots on the rear
>> of the machine does not mean you have the optional riser card and cage
>> to use these slots. look inside of the machine.
>> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/op170l/en/UG/sdabout.htm#1051659
>

> Thanks for the additional info.
>
> It's the mini-tower.

so now you have to crack open the case to see if you have the optional
pci riser card that provides support for the full sized cards. it is
isn't there (and rarely is) then there are a few low profile pci card
options... ebay is a good source.