From: Vahis on
Host 11.2, Oracle VBox 3.2.6 i63112, guest 11.3

First I had a fine working VBox guest 11.3 on a 11.2 host.
Then I messed it up and removed it.
I installed a new one from scratch but got following issues:

Now the guest display is only 1024x768
The setting "Machine > Disble Guest Display Auto-Resize" is ticked and
grayed out, can't touch it.

The max is 1920x1200, other OS guests don't have have problems with
this or the setting.
I have installed Oracle VBox additions without problems.

Then audio, present in all guests:

When the guest is started while there's no audio is running on the host,
the guest has no sound problem.
But then there's no audio on host.

If there is audio going on in host while starting guest,
VBox gives error at start of guest:
"Some audio devices (PCM_out) could not be opened." and there's no audio
in guest.

So the audio is either/or, the one that's on will keep it for itself.

It looks like messing with one guest somehow broke the VirtualBox itself
and now there's something wrong in its files somewhere.

Vahis
--
http://waxborg.servepics.com
openSUSE 11.2 (x86_64) 2.6.31.12-0.2-default
From: mjt on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 09:15:07 GMT
Vahis <waxborg(a)gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

> So the audio is either/or, the one that's on will keep it for itself.
>
> It looks like messing with one guest somehow broke the VirtualBox
> itself and now there's something wrong in its files somewhere.

I'd check log files for clues.

--
Man is the only animal that can remain on friendly terms
with the victims he intends to eat until he eats them.

From: Vahis on
On 2010-07-23, houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:
> Vahis wrote:
>> If there is audio going on in host while starting guest,
>> VBox gives error at start of guest:
>> "Some audio devices (PCM_out) could not be opened." and there's no audio
>> in guest.
>>
>> So the audio is either/or, the one that's on will keep it for itself.
>
> This I have happening as well. And also when running mpd. What happens
> mpd and VirtualBox hijack the sound. Not sure how to get around it,
> except for adding a second soundcard.

This is the first time I've come up with a sound problem.
All my virtual machines have been running perfectly well before.

>> It looks like messing with one guest somehow broke the VirtualBox itself
>> and now there's something wrong in its files somewhere.
>
> Now for the fact that you can not select Auto resize and probabnly also
> some other options.
> Short storry: See that vboxadd is installed and running on your system
> (/etc/init.d/vboxadd status)

It wasn't running.
I reinstalled the guest additions by running the script.
Then I needed to manually change the virtual box window a couple of
times before it went right. Now it works.

So, I'm cool with the display now. I still don't know what went wrong,
the module was built without errors on both times. Whatever.

But the sound thing is bugging me. It worked fine before.
And since I haven't had sound problems I'm not familiar with them
settings either.

For example (on host system) if I go to
YaST > Hardware > sound > Other > Pulse audio Configuration

I get "PulseAudio is not installed or can't be configured."

If I look in software I have pulse stuff but there's also a lot that I
don't have.

Anyways, I won't rock the boat. I disable the sound from the guests and
I'm OK for now. I don't have them for playing music or boobies anyway.

> Longer version:
<snip>
> First thing I did was get all the repo's identical:

> Please notice the abcence of the VirtualBox repo.

I don't have it either. My VBox is not ose. I tried it but at that time at least
it didn't have USB so I switched to Sun, later Oracle.

I download from there and I also build their guest module with their script.

> If vboxadd does not start correctly, that is where you should start looking
> for a solution.

It didn't. Rebuilding it helped. Thank for the tip :)

> I then added on one the VirtualBox repo and changed the programs to that
> repo and thus reinstalling them and all still worked. So strangely
> re-installing the virtualbox tools on the guest seemed to have worked
> somehow.

Computas are strange ;)

Vahis
--
http://waxborg.servepics.com
openSUSE 11.2 (x86_64) 2.6.31.12-0.2-default
19:41pm up 41 days 4:13, 11 users, load average: 0.28, 0.35, 0.30
From: Vahis on
On 2010-07-23, Vahis <waxborg(a)gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> On 2010-07-23, houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Short storry: See that vboxadd is installed and running on your system
>> (/etc/init.d/vboxadd status)
>
> It wasn't running.
> I reinstalled the guest additions by running the script.
> Then I needed to manually change the virtual box window a couple of
> times before it went right. Now it works.
>
> So, I'm cool with the display now. I still don't know what went wrong,
> the module was built without errors on both times. Whatever.

Wasn't there an NVidia driver update the other day?

I think there was, and I also think this was the cause.
It required obviously the vboxadd module to be rebuilt.

> But the sound thing is bugging me. It worked fine before.
> And since I haven't had sound problems I'm not familiar with them
> settings either.

That was solved in a different manner.
I can't believe the NVidia driver to be the culprit. Could it?

> Computas are strange ;)

I say that again :)

Vahis
--
http://waxborg.servepics.com
openSUSE 11.2 (x86_64) 2.6.31.12-0.2-default
22:25pm up 41 days 6:57, 11 users, load average: 0.00, 0.08, 0.14