From: David Samuel Barr on
Although it's been three years since I built my current
computer (with invaluable advice from some of the folks
here), I only recently had occasion to discover that
neither my Samsung SH-S182 DVD/CD combo burner,
BFG GeForce 7600GT OC video card, nor Windows XP Media
Center Edition came with DVD codecs.

I was going to buy the NVidia PureVideo Decoder package
or WinDVD to solve this omission, but it turns these
are only for DVD playback. While I don't plan to be
producing videos on my computer, I do want to have
some ability to (a) rip audio and video clips from DVDs
to computer files and (b) copy my old archival VHS tapes
to the computer, do some basic editing thereof (mostly
cutting out excess footage and/or resequencing segments),
and transfer the results to DVD.

As such, I don't need an expensive editing package with
elaborate effects capabilities and comparably large
learning curve, but I'd appreciate any suggestions any
of you might have for a more modest one which would
fit my needs.

Thanks.
From: Peter on
In article <w_KdndgzBpZQPYnRnZ2dnUVZ_tSdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com>,
dsbarr(a)mindspring.com says...
> Although it's been three years since I built my current
> computer (with invaluable advice from some of the folks
> here), I only recently had occasion to discover that
> neither my Samsung SH-S182 DVD/CD combo burner,
> BFG GeForce 7600GT OC video card, nor Windows XP Media
> Center Edition came with DVD codecs.
>
> I was going to buy the NVidia PureVideo Decoder package
> or WinDVD to solve this omission, but it turns these
> are only for DVD playback. While I don't plan to be
> producing videos on my computer, I do want to have
> some ability to (a) rip audio and video clips from DVDs
> to computer files and (b) copy my old archival VHS tapes
> to the computer, do some basic editing thereof (mostly
> cutting out excess footage and/or resequencing segments),
> and transfer the results to DVD.
>
> As such, I don't need an expensive editing package with
> elaborate effects capabilities and comparably large
> learning curve, but I'd appreciate any suggestions any
> of you might have for a more modest one which would
> fit my needs.
>
> Thanks.

Perhaps you could post this to alt.video.dvd.authoring

--
Pete Ives
From: Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) on

virtualdub?
From: Flasherly on
On Jun 13, 5:11 am, David Samuel Barr <dsb...(a)mindspring.com> wrote:
> Although it's been three years since I built my current
> computer (with invaluable advice from some of the folks
> here), I only recently had occasion to discover that
> neither my Samsung SH-S182 DVD/CD combo burner,
> BFG GeForce 7600GT OC video card, nor Windows XP Media
> Center Edition came with DVD codecs.
>
> I was going to buy the NVidia PureVideo Decoder package
> or WinDVD to solve this omission, but it turns these
> are only for DVD playback. While I don't plan to be
> producing videos on my computer, I do want to have
> some ability to (a) rip audio and video clips from DVDs
> to computer files and (b) copy my old archival VHS tapes
> to the computer, do some basic editing thereof (mostly
> cutting out excess footage and/or resequencing segments),
> and transfer the results to DVD.
>
> As such, I don't need an expensive editing package with
> elaborate effects capabilities and comparably large
> learning curve, but I'd appreciate any suggestions any
> of you might have for a more modest one which would
> fit my needs.
>
> Thanks.

DVD codecs? A DVD is pits in optical or metal dye. Codecs on a
encoding "stream" -- via a DVD, flashstick, whatever, are something
else, hence just video. VHS magnetically conical scanning heads
require a dedicated computer videocard's staged input, probably a USB
these days -- been awhile since using a PCI card television tuner's
output off direct aerial for encoding. And, they just don't make PCI
slots like they used to. Minimal or near understanding of hardware
involved, though. Expense and software wise, got that right, you
don't need much...possibly, if anything at all. Also, got the part
about the learning curve right for broadcast engineering. There's a
lot in a likes of DOOM9.NET to spend awhile reading over, FAQs and
posts depending on how interested you are about video production.

Maybe there's some sort of correlation for extrapolation, as often as
people do, coming into technically oriented groups and asking your
question, you think?