From: James Moe on
On 05/22/2010 11:43 AM, Clark Smith wrote:
> I am trying to access video files from a Canon VIXIA HF S20
> camcorder, so far without success. I can connect the camcorder to my
> Linux box by USB all right. The camcorder gets recognized without any
> problems; in fact, I can successfully retrieve still photos by means of
> the PTP protocol. What I would like is to be able to access it as a mass
> storage device that I can mount.

I have a Canon Vixia hfm31. I discovered that the power adaptere must
be connected to enable the USB port. You apparently do this as well.
After connecting the camera asked how the connection should be
handled, as "PC connection" or (something else, I do not recall). After
selecting "PC connection" the computer mounted the USB connection. The
video files are in </media/CANON/avchd/bdmv/stream>.

--
James Moe
jmm-list at sohnen-moe dot com