From: Nasser M. Abbasi on
Hello;

I am having hard time finding the best way to do this:

I mount my NTFS disk as read only. no problem, have a large ext3 disk
mounted also. I want to copy all my data from the NTFS disk over to ext3, so
I can use it easier on Linux.

Then I simply do

cp /my_linux_disk_root
cp -R /windows_disk .

The copy starts OK, but the problem is that some files, during the copy
process, generate this error from cp

Value too large for defined data type

When I look at some of the files which generated this error, they are small
in size. so it is not 16 GB limit on file size.

It could be a 255 bytes limit on a path name? some of the files are very
deep in my NTFS tree.

I was using debian (latest and greatest ISO image as of last night)

so I am thinking there should be a more reliable way to copy all of the data
from NTFS to Linux disk?

my Linux desktop crashed also during the cp, I am not sure if it is due to
the cp itself or not. very disappointed with this. but this is for another
day.

Should I try the "dd" command? should I use tar or something else? the NTFS
disk is very large, over 600 GB, and I want to move all the data to Linux
disk (1 terabyte empty disk). Should I try something other than ext3? do I
need to get a version of cp which supports very long file/path names? how?

thanks
--Nasser