From: Robert Riches on
On 2010-05-25, Nasser M. Abbasi <nma(a)12000.org> wrote:
> Hello;
>
> I am having hard time finding the best way to do this:
>
> I mount my NTFS disk as read only. no problem, have a large ext3 disk
> mounted also. I want to copy all my data from the NTFS disk over to ext3, so
> I can use it easier on Linux.
>

> Then I simply do
>
> cp /my_linux_disk_root
> cp -R /windows_disk .
>
> The copy starts OK, but the problem is that some files, during the copy
> process, generate this error from cp
>
> Value too large for defined data type
>
> When I look at some of the files which generated this error, they are small
> in size. so it is not 16 GB limit on file size.
>
> It could be a 255 bytes limit on a path name? some of the files are very
> deep in my NTFS tree.
>
> I was using debian (latest and greatest ISO image as of last night)
>
> so I am thinking there should be a more reliable way to copy all of the data
> from NTFS to Linux disk?
>
> my Linux desktop crashed also during the cp, I am not sure if it is due to
> the cp itself or not. very disappointed with this. but this is for another
> day.
>
> Should I try the "dd" command? should I use tar or something else? the NTFS
> disk is very large, over 600 GB, and I want to move all the data to Linux
> disk (1 terabyte empty disk). Should I try something other than ext3? do I
> need to get a version of cp which supports very long file/path names? how?
>
> thanks
> --Nasser

I usually use 'cp -a ...' to get a few more options than just -R.

I wonder if tar might be able to capture the data from the NTFS
disk even if ext3 might not be able to handle maximum paths or
something.

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42(a)verizon.net
From: David Brown on
On 25/05/2010 06:31, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
> Hello;
>
> I am having hard time finding the best way to do this:
>
> I mount my NTFS disk as read only. no problem, have a large ext3 disk
> mounted also. I want to copy all my data from the NTFS disk over to
> ext3, so I can use it easier on Linux.
>

> Then I simply do
>
> cp /my_linux_disk_root
> cp -R /windows_disk .
>
> The copy starts OK, but the problem is that some files, during the copy
> process, generate this error from cp
>
> Value too large for defined data type
>
> When I look at some of the files which generated this error, they are
> small in size. so it is not 16 GB limit on file size.
>
> It could be a 255 bytes limit on a path name? some of the files are very
> deep in my NTFS tree.
>
> I was using debian (latest and greatest ISO image as of last night)
>
> so I am thinking there should be a more reliable way to copy all of the
> data from NTFS to Linux disk?
>
> my Linux desktop crashed also during the cp, I am not sure if it is due
> to the cp itself or not. very disappointed with this. but this is for
> another day.
>
> Should I try the "dd" command? should I use tar or something else? the
> NTFS disk is very large, over 600 GB, and I want to move all the data to
> Linux disk (1 terabyte empty disk). Should I try something other than
> ext3? do I need to get a version of cp which supports very long
> file/path names? how?

Look into rsync. Even if you are doing just a straight copy, it has the
big advantage over "cp" if you want to (or have to!) stop and re-start
the copy. The real advantages of rsync come if you are copying over a
network, but even for local copies I think it is a convenient tool.

From: James Moe on
On 05/24/2010 09:31 PM, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:

> I am having hard time finding the best way to do this:
>
> I mount my NTFS disk as read only. no problem, have a large ext3 disk
> mounted also. I want to copy all my data from the NTFS disk over to
> ext3, so I can use it easier on Linux.

Besides tar and rsync, you could use ZIP.

--
James Moe
jmm-list at sohnen-moe dot com