From: NetGuy on
I don't personally travel on that line, but a friend reports that for
about 2 months he has been unable to get any coverage when
travelling. Previously he had good service from Crewe down to
Euston (using Vodafone) but since Virgin has been offering its
customers free internet access in First Class, things seem to
have changed.

This is on the Pendolino trains. He said that their other trains
(diesel powered) never had reliable broadband service which
he put down to interference from the diesel-electric units.

Have other people noticed similar problems, either with Voda
or other networks, please ?
From: R. Mark Clayton on

"NetGuy" <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in message
>I don't personally travel on that line, but a friend reports that for
> about 2 months he has been unable to get any coverage when
> travelling. Previously he had good service from Crewe down to
> Euston (using Vodafone) but since Virgin has been offering its
> customers free internet access in First Class, things seem to
> have changed.
>
> This is on the Pendolino trains. He said that their other trains
> (diesel powered) never had reliable broadband service which
> he put down to interference from the diesel-electric units.
>
> Have other people noticed similar problems, either with Voda
> or other networks, please ?

Why would the network have anything to do with it?

Virgin has wifi on WCML electric services.

It didn't on diesel services.

What mobile service you get on board will depend on your network.

O2 & Voda - still have 900Mhz service and this works better in cuttings etc.

All but 3 have 1800MHz service with fair coverage,

All have UMTS, but mostly just in big places.

From: Steve Wyles on
On 05/04/2010 21:54, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> "NetGuy"<me(a)privacy.net> wrote in message
>> I don't personally travel on that line, but a friend reports that for
>> about 2 months he has been unable to get any coverage when
>> travelling. Previously he had good service from Crewe down to
>> Euston (using Vodafone) but since Virgin has been offering its
>> customers free internet access in First Class, things seem to
>> have changed.
>>
>> This is on the Pendolino trains. He said that their other trains
>> (diesel powered) never had reliable broadband service which
>> he put down to interference from the diesel-electric units.
>>
>> Have other people noticed similar problems, either with Voda
>> or other networks, please ?
>
> Why would the network have anything to do with it?
>
> Virgin has wifi on WCML electric services.
>
> It didn't on diesel services.
>
> What mobile service you get on board will depend on your network.
>
> O2& Voda - still have 900Mhz service and this works better in cuttings etc.
>
> All but 3 have 1800MHz service with fair coverage,
>
> All have UMTS, but mostly just in big places.

Also those particular trains used to (probably still do) have a coating
on the windows that accidently block mobile phone signals. I noticed
this the first time I travelled on one a few years ago

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2008/03/07/229761/Virgin-Trains-upgrades-Wi-Fi-lounges-but-passengers-still-cannot-make-calls-or-access-web-on-the.htm
From: NetGuy on
On 06.04.2010, Steve Wyles <steve(a)inhouse.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Previously he had good service from Crewe down to Euston

>Also those particular trains used to (probably still do) have a coating
>on the windows that accidently block mobile phone signals. I noticed
>this the first time I travelled on one a few years ago

Thanks for the link, but unless they have swapped coaches around it
would not really answer for why he previously had access and now he
doesn't. Maybe they are just moving the coaches from route to route
to deliberately annoy. Happy to get some explanation from someone
at Virgin Trains as to what is happening...
From: NetGuy on
On 05.04.2010, "R. Mark Clayton" <nospamclayton(a)btinternet.com> wrote:

>Why would the network have anything to do with it?

I was just offering information to give a fuller picture before someone
felt the need to ask "Which Network?"

>What mobile service you get on board will depend on your network.

Glad to see you recognise some differences exist...