From: Sf3d0 on

Is there any way that virtual machines can recognize the real hardware
on my computer..? Like my soundcard or my graphics card etc..? When I go
to my Virtual XP Sound And Audio Device Settings, my dafault device is
Microsoft RDP Audio Driver..How can I change it to my Asus Xonar D2X..?

--
Sf3d0
From: Robert Comer on
No, there's no way. Virtual machines only have access to a specific
set of emulated hardware.

If you're using the new Windows Virtual PC on Windows 7, you can use
the hosts USB devices and that's pretty much it.

--
Bob Comer

From: Mark Rae [MVP] on

http://vpc.visualwin.com/ngfaq.aspx#8

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

From: Sf3d0 on

Thank you both for your answers..:)
But I'm also keen on VMware..Is there any way to recognize my hardware
using this program..? Or any other way to do it..?

--
Sf3d0
From: Robert Comer on
No, VMWare is the same that way. You're always going to see this in a
virtualization product -- one of the biggest draw of virtualization is
hardware independence, and that's only done by presenting the same
hardware to the VM all the time.

There is a very special (and costly) version of one of the
virtualization products that can use a host video card (it has to have
two to pull this off, and it has to be VERY specific hardware.) I
don't remember what it was but I don't have a couple thousand to throw
at something like that.

For the future, there are some new things being built into CPU's to
make it easier, but I don't see a VM having full access any time
soon... (nor do I think I'd want it to -- if you need that kind of
access it's going to be cheaper to just run it on the host rather than
dealing with a VM.)

--
Bob Comer