From: 7 on
Virtualization Help Request
---------------------------

I use virtualization a lot under Linux but I came across a problem.

I got eSata everywhere now and when I move drives from one place to
the next, if I want to boot from it, I have to go into the BIOS
and it boots entirely from that drive.

What I really need to do often is to keep the desktop running
and then run something like virtualbox and let virtualbox boot
off the eSata drive.

Normally, all the hard drives are virtual drives.

However the CDROM drive is a real drive and I boot from a real CD
under virtualbox, likewise the floppy disk is a real drive as well.

So what I want the hard disk to be a real drive as well
so that I can boot off the eSata drive without having to down the
entire system.

Since the method already works with CDROM and floppy, I don't
imagine it is difficult - may be an option somewhere.

So any ideas?

From: Ezekiel on

"7" <website_has_email(a)www.enemygadgets.com> wrote in message
> Virtualization Help Request
> ---------------------------
>
> I use virtualization a lot under Linux but I came across a problem.
>
> I got eSata everywhere now and when I move drives from one place to
> the next, if I want to boot from it, I have to go into the BIOS
> and it boots entirely from that drive.
>
> What I really need to do often is to keep the desktop running
> and then run something like virtualbox and let virtualbox boot
> off the eSata drive.
>
> Normally, all the hard drives are virtual drives.

This should help:

http://www.sysprobs.com/access-physical-disk-virtualbox-desktop-virtualization-software

<quote>
You can't add host local physical entire disk or any partitions easily like
VMware workstation. We have to create a configuration VMDK file for the host
entire physical disk or partition. Then add this VMDK in Virtual Media
Manager. Then allocate the disk to any Virtual Machine in VirtualBox.

Ok, now let's start the steps,

How to Access Entire Physical Disk from VirtualBox
1) Open Command prompt in Host computer then go to the Sun VirtualBox
installation folder, in this case example is, ( This is on your Host
computer where you installed Sun Virtualization software, NOT in the Virtual
Machine)

G: \Program Files \Sun \VirtualBox

2) Type: ( This command for access entire physical disk as Raw Disk)
</quote>

From: Terry Porter on
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 07:38:43 +0000, 7 wrote:

> Virtualization Help Request
> ---------------------------
>
> I use virtualization a lot under Linux but I came across a problem.
>
> I got eSata everywhere now and when I move drives from one place to the
> next, if I want to boot from it, I have to go into the BIOS and it boots
> entirely from that drive.
>
> What I really need to do often is to keep the desktop running and then
> run something like virtualbox and let virtualbox boot off the eSata
> drive.

Hmm, this sounds like a jail to me ?
Could you not just run a chroot on the existing system, which replicates
it ready to experiment with ?

Or have I misunderstood your application ?

--
This machine running Gnu/Linux Mint 8 and posting via Pan.
Terry Porter wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 07:38:43 +0000, 7 wrote:
>
>> Virtualization Help Request
>> ---------------------------
>>
>> I use virtualization a lot under Linux but I came across a problem.
>>
>> I got eSata everywhere now and when I move drives from one place to the
>> next, if I want to boot from it, I have to go into the BIOS and it boots
>> entirely from that drive.
>>
>> What I really need to do often is to keep the desktop running and then
>> run something like virtualbox and let virtualbox boot off the eSata
>> drive.
>
> Hmm, this sounds like a jail to me ?
> Could you not just run a chroot on the existing system, which replicates
> it ready to experiment with ?
>
> Or have I misunderstood your application ?

Currently I run Ubuntu 8, 9 and Mepis.
Supposing I was to put the Mepis
inside an eSata external drive box and the Ubuntu 9 on another external
eSata box, then I am hoping I can run Mepis and Ubuntu 9 on my Ubuntu 8
machine at the same time from my eSata boxes on two separate instances of
Virtualbox.

I need that, because the Mepis mboard is seriously damaged due to
capacitors belching out their internal contents and the Ubuntu 9
machine is gone because that mboard was not up to what I was
trying to do and I need a more powerful mboard.

I can boot the external eSata drives separately on any available machine
but thats not the issue.

I am hoping to boot 2 eSata drives simultaneously on one machine
by telling virtualbox (or any other virtualisation sofwtare that
can do this) to run directly from currently mounted real drives as opposed
to running from virtual drives.

From: 7 on
Ezekiel wrote:

> "7" <website_has_email(a)www.enemygadgets.com> wrote in message
>> Virtualization Help Request
>> ---------------------------
>>
>> I use virtualization a lot under Linux but I came across a problem.
>>
>> I got eSata everywhere now and when I move drives from one place to
>> the next, if I want to boot from it, I have to go into the BIOS
>> and it boots entirely from that drive.
>>
>> What I really need to do often is to keep the desktop running
>> and then run something like virtualbox and let virtualbox boot
>> off the eSata drive.
>>
>> Normally, all the hard drives are virtual drives.
>
> This should help:
>
> http://www.sysprobs.com/access-physical-disk-virtualbox-desktop-
virtualization-software

> <quote>
> You can't add host local physical entire disk or any partitions easily
> like VMware workstation. We have to create a configuration VMDK file for
> the host entire physical disk or partition. Then add this VMDK in Virtual
> Media Manager. Then allocate the disk to any Virtual Machine in
> VirtualBox.
>
> Ok, now let's start the steps,
>
> How to Access Entire Physical Disk from VirtualBox
> 1) Open Command prompt in Host computer then go to the Sun VirtualBox
> installation folder, in this case example is, ( This is on your Host
> computer where you installed Sun Virtualization software, NOT in the
> Virtual Machine)
>
> G: \Program Files \Sun \VirtualBox
>
> 2) Type: ( This command for access entire physical disk as Raw Disk)
> </quote>

This sounds like it - but I have to go find and do it on a spare drive
because it comes with few explanations and
such a simple thing looks more dangerous than it should be.