From: Elmo on
ship wrote:
> Hi
>

> My T60 (WindowsXP Pro) has been infected with several viruses.
>
> Is it safe to re-install from the Windows XP partition?
>
> Or should I kill absolutely everything on the disk (eg. by running
> KillDisk off a CD)?
>

> And if I do the latter, how on earth to I register it with Microsoft
> because the laptop did not come with any CDs.
> (I can borrow a Windows XP Pro CD from work - but I presume that there
> will be problems with the Product Key and License number etc)
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> With thanks
>

> Ship

Burn BitDefender, or another program listed at the link below, to a CD
(using a working machine) and test the infected machine with it.
BitDefender also has a Rootkit checker on the Linux Desktop; run it if
you think that's the problem:

http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list/

Download the executable rather than the .iso image, if one is available,
(though no .exe is available for BitDefender).

After the scan is run, if you elect to quarantine files, they're
quarantined to RAM and lost after you reboot. You'll need to copy any
quarantined files to the hard drive, a thumb drive or elsewhere before
exiting.

Then run these:

Malwarebytes© Corporation

SuperAntispyware