From: Peter on
I've been asked by a manager to create a "visio of our sql environment." I
don't exactly understand what is meant, and I can't ask for anymore
clarification as of right now. Can someone point me into a direction to get
started?

We have 5 MSSQL servers running on different machines.
From: Jay on
I can think of four different possibilities:

1) A "network diagram" that shows the servers and how their related on the
network - firewalls, security zones, routers, network switches, virtual
servers, etc.

2) An "Entity-Relationship diagram" (or ERD) of the tables in each
database - one diagram per database, or possibly per group of related
databases.

3) A hybrid map that shows which servers are serving which customers, by
machine and database.

4) A wild request that he is blowing out his a**, because someone said how
great Visio was.

If you work primarily with the network, probably #1. If you work primarily
with the databases, maybe #1 and maybe #2. If this manager is as clueless as
you're describing, probably #3, or #4.

You have no choice but to ask for clarification. However, I would suggest
that you create a stub of #1, #2 and #3, present it to him and ask which it
is that he wants.

The advantage here is that by presenting him with the pictures, he can take
a pencil and draw something easily on the papers - something even a
four-year-old should be able to do.

$20 says it's really #4 - and I feel your pain.