From: Donald L McDaniel on
On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 22:29:49 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>What notice? From whom?

PA Bear, the OP is referring to the notice in the lower-right hand
corner of the desktop which appears after installation of Service Pack
1 Release Candidate stating that the version of Vista installed is an
"evaluation" build.

Donald L McDaniel
From: Tom [Pepper] Willett on

"Donald L McDaniel" <orthocrossATkomkastDOTnet> wrote in message
: On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 22:29:49 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
: <PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> wrote:
:
: >What notice? From whom?
:
:
: PA Bear, the OP is referring to the notice in the lower-right hand
: corner of the desktop which appears after installation of Service Pack
: 1 Release Candidate stating that the version of Vista installed is an
: "evaluation" build.
:
: Donald L McDaniel

Re-read the OP's post...he first made reference to a notice of an update.

From: Donald L McDaniel on
On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 08:34:52 -0600, "Tom [Pepper] Willett"
<tom(a)youreadaisyifyoudo.com> wrote:

>"Donald L McDaniel" <orthocrossATkomkastDOTnet> wrote in message
>: On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 22:29:49 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
>: <PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>:
>: >What notice? From whom?
>:
>:
>: PA Bear, the OP is referring to the notice in the lower-right hand
>: corner of the desktop which appears after installation of Service Pack
>: 1 Release Candidate stating that the version of Vista installed is an
>: "evaluation" build.
>:
>: Donald L McDaniel
>
>Re-read the OP's post...he first made reference to a notice of an update.

Obviously, Tom, the update he was referring to (he refers to it by
name, by the way) was "Service Pak 1" [sic]. It was pretty clear to
me, at least. Go back and re-read it yourself.

To save you the trouble, I quote the relevant passage:

>Got a notice of update so did the download. It was Service Pak 1 for Vista
>Home Premium. Now when computer boots get a Evaluation Copy notice on lower
>right. Product is properly registered for 9 months with all updates as
>available. What is the impact of the Evaluation Notice, as far as continued
>operation?

NOTE WHICH UPDATE the OP refers to is as: "Service Pak 1 for Vista
Home Premium".

Since there is no such beast, I assume he was referring to the "Vista
Service Pack 1 Release Candidate".

I also assume that he got the notice not via email, but via Windows
Update, when the download became available to him via Automatic
Updates.

So others will know:
1) The presence of the Evaluation notice has absolutely no impact on
the operation of one's OS in any way, other than to serve as a gentle
reminder that one day (sooner rather than later), the version of Vista
he has installed will have to be removed and replaced with either the
RTM version of Service Pack 1, or a different version of Windows.
2) It is probably possible to remove the Evaluation notice, if it
really gets in the way or irritates one -- this always has beeen the
case with past Windows service packs.
3) Installing the Release Candidate on top of an activated version of
Vista will NOT cause your CD key or your Vista License to lapse or
"die". Your original license will STILL be valid after you take the
Release Candidate off and reinstall your purchased OS.
4) You will NOT need to purchase a NEW CD key to reinstall your
original license. The original license will still be valid once you
reinstall it.
5) You MIGHT have to reactivate your OS, but this is GUARANTEED by
Microsoft to happen as long as you abide by your License Agreement.

But the fact is, removing the notice will NOT change the version of OS
installed. Even with the notice gone, the version of Vista installed
will STILL be an evaluation version which will eventually stop
working, and which must be replaced by a non-Evaluation version.

Donald L McDaniel
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Is this your personal machine at home, Jack, or is it a machine at work?
Does this machine update via WSUS?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

From: MC on
PLEASE don't send evaluation updates without clearly labeling them as such.
Better, don;t even send them thru Windows Update. I would not have chosen to
be a beta tester, and it totally messed me up.

MC

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Message Code 80200053