From: Bob Donald on
Vista was actually pretty good as a media PC, whether using VMC, or as a
core op system to just run BTV and Sage client on. Of course, that's the
only thing it was good for in my circumstances. Since I went to the hd200
with Sage I ripped that PC out of the home entertainment center, but it
worked fine when I was doing almost the same thing as you with Sage. VMC
also has netflix and (IIRC) Hulu streaming. Now I'm back to 2 unused Vista
licenses.....

From: kitekrazy on
On 6/14/2010 8:27 PM, Glennbo wrote:
> In news:poSdnWvZSJfhWYvRnZ2dnUVZ_vednZ2d(a)supernews.com the killer robot
> "Bob Donald"<Bob(a)nowhere.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
> cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
>> Vista was actually pretty good as a media PC, whether using VMC, or as
>> a core op system to just run BTV and Sage client on. Of course,
>> that's the only thing it was good for in my circumstances. Since I
>> went to the hd200 with Sage I ripped that PC out of the home
>> entertainment center, but it worked fine when I was doing almost the
>> same thing as you with Sage. VMC also has netflix and (IIRC) Hulu
>> streaming. Now I'm back to 2 unused Vista licenses.....
>
> I did all the "Black Viper" tweaks, which stopped or removed from cache
> memory a *lot* of services in Vista. The only service I had to re-enable
> out of the 25 or so that I disabled was the HID service which turns out is
> needed for *extended* keys on your remotes to function properly. Every
> other thing I killed per Black Viper's "Tweaked" Vista settings, is still
> killed and everything else works and is able to breathe. I also found that
> using Cyberlink Media's HiDef decoder is the most efficient of the pack.
> Decoders from Microsoft, Snapstream, Arcsoft, and Nero had more frequent
> jitters than using Cyberlink Media's codec that gets installed with the
> free version of Power DVD that comes with most DVD burners.
>
> Hehe, I'm still using a two generation old X-DAW with a throw away OS for
> my media client in the bedroom. It didn't really cost me anything except
> for the case, since it was junk laying around the house and office. ;)

A local computer guy gave me a copy of Vista Ultimate 64. I got a
spare box I might install this on. The nice thing it's not an upgrade
and will also come in handy for another upgrade license.