From: Mike Copeland on
I use a very old version of MS Visual C++ (6.0), and I get many
replies to my queries telling me I should use a more up-to-date
compiler. I see that the latest MicroSoft Express product is 2010, and
it seems it has many features that I probably won't ever get around to
using at my age. For example, "support for .NET 4.0" - does that mean I
must have .NET 4.0 on any computer I run my application on, or do I not
need to use .NET? (For the most part, I develop only 32 bit Console
applications...)
Please note that I am a small, single-developer operation, and I
can't afford to purchase a "professional edition" of a new compiler, so
I'm looking for one of the free products. TIA
From: Nobody on
"Mike Copeland" <mrc2323(a)cox.net> wrote in message
> I use a very old version of MS Visual C++ (6.0), and I get many
> replies to my queries telling me I should use a more up-to-date
> compiler. I see that the latest MicroSoft Express product is 2010, and
> it seems it has many features that I probably won't ever get around to
> using at my age. For example, "support for .NET 4.0" - does that mean I
> must have .NET 4.0 on any computer I run my application on, or do I not
> need to use .NET? (For the most part, I develop only 32 bit Console
> applications...)
> Please note that I am a small, single-developer operation, and I
> can't afford to purchase a "professional edition" of a new compiler, so
> I'm looking for one of the free products. TIA

The short answer is: No you don't need .Net library on the target computer
unless you deliberately use .Net library features in your app. However,
since VC 2005, the minimum OS version that your app would run on is Windows
2000. As for the development machine, it must be Windows XP+.

From: Igor Tandetnik on
Mike Copeland <mrc2323(a)cox.net> wrote:
> For example, "support for .NET 4.0" -
> does that mean I must have .NET 4.0 on any computer I run my
> application on

No (but you would need it on your development machine; the IDE itself uses it).

> or do I not need to use .NET?

You don't. VS 2010 is perfectly capable of building native applications.

> (For the most part, I
> develop only 32 bit Console applications...)
> Please note that I am a small, single-developer operation, and I
> can't afford to purchase a "professional edition" of a new compiler,
> so I'm looking for one of the free products. TIA

http://www.microsoft.com/express/downloads/

Express Edition comes without MFC or ATL, in case it matters.
--
With best wishes,
Igor Tandetnik

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

From: Stephan T. Lavavej [MSFT] on
Note that VC10 doesn't support targeting Win2K anymore.

STL

From: Pavel A. on
"Mike Copeland" <mrc2323(a)cox.net> wrote in message
> I use a very old version of MS Visual C++ (6.0), and I get many
> replies to my queries telling me I should use a more up-to-date
> compiler. I see that the latest MicroSoft Express product is 2010, and
> it seems it has many features that I probably won't ever get around to
> using at my age. For example, "support for .NET 4.0" - does that mean I
> must have .NET 4.0 on any computer I run my application on, or do I not
> need to use .NET? (For the most part, I develop only 32 bit Console
> applications...)

The answer perhaps depends on whether you need to give away your source code
to others. If yes, consider that these others may use modern compilers, so
better
use same toolchain as your users.

> Please note that I am a small, single-developer operation, and I
> can't afford to purchase a "professional edition" of a new compiler, so
> I'm looking for one of the free products.

Then maybe a GNU based toolchain can be better for you ( mingw, Eclipse...)
it is modern and free - but learning ramp after VC6 may be steep.
Again, it depends on what your users prefer.

Good luck,
-- pa