From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

fsm12 wrote:

>>I want to know that for a particular viterbi decoder e.g for 1/2,7
>
> type
>
>>,with traceback depth of 48, if input data frame contains 2000 bits ,IS
>
> it
>
>>possible to correct only upto 4 errors in this data stream and is there
>
> any
>
>>relation between error correcting capability and location of these
>
> errors
>
>>in the data pattern?
>>

> This does not answer my query at all> Is it not possible to Quantify the
> values of errors corrected by a Viterbi decoder for a given input data
> stream
> (e.g. for a 2000 inputs bits fed to a decoder having free distance of
> 10.)

Yes, it is possible to quantify this. The cost of this homework question
is $500.

VLV

From: rbb on

>> I want to know that for a particular viterbi decoder e.g for 1/2,7
>type
>>,with traceback depth of 48, if input data frame contains 2000 bits ,IS
>it
>>possible to correct only upto 4 errors in this data stream and is there
>any
>>relation between error correcting capability and location of these
>errors
>>in the data pattern?
>>

> This does not answer my query at all> Is it not possible to Quantify
the
>values of errors corrected by a Viterbi decoder for a given input data
>stream
>(e.g. for a 2000 inputs bits fed to a decoder having free distance of
>10.)

Dude, that is ~15 lines of Matlab code to experiment with coding rates,
block lengths, polynomials, interleaver types, etc.
From: John on
On Jan 2, 6:26 pm, "rbb" <Rory.Bucha...(a)onsemi.com> wrote:
> >> I want to know that for a particular viterbi  decoder e.g for 1/2,7
> >type
> >>,with traceback depth of 48, if input data frame contains 2000 bits ,IS
> >it
> >>possible to correct only upto 4 errors in this data stream and is there
> >any
> >>relation between error correcting capability and location of these
> >errors
> >>in the data pattern?
>
> > This does not answer my query at all> Is it not possible to Quantify
> the
> >values of errors corrected by a Viterbi decoder for a given input data
> >stream
> >(e.g. for a 2000 inputs bits fed to a decoder having free distance of
> >10.)
>
> Dude, that is ~15 lines of Matlab code to experiment with coding rates,
> block lengths, polynomials, interleaver types, etc.

Have you checked the price of Matlab and toolboxes lately? Have you
checked if the m-files needed to do this are available in Octave?
From: rbb on
>> >type
>> >it
>> >any
>> >errors
>>
>> > This does not answer my query at all> Is it not possible to Quantify
>> the
>> >values of errors corrected by a Viterbi decoder for a given input
data
>> >stream
>> >(e.g. for a 2000 inputs bits fed to a decoder having free distance of
>> >10.)
>>
>> Dude, that is ~15 lines of Matlab code to experiment with coding
rates,
>> block lengths, polynomials, interleaver types, etc. =A0
>
>Have you checked the price of Matlab and toolboxes lately? Have you
>checked if the m-files needed to do this are available in Octave?

Well it would take a bit more time, but you could easily do everything I
said in your favorite programming language. C/C++/C#/VB/etc.