From: jacki on
What is the best way to be able to enter a number into a cell and it returns
the name that corresponds with that number in the cell to the right of it.
The numbers and names to view from would be on a master/seperate worksheet.

Thanks so much for your help.
From: Don Guillett on
Look in the help index for VLOOKUP

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

From: Max on
Index/match gives you the versatility to return any col to the left or right
of the match col

Eg in Sheet2,
You could have something like this in say, C2:
=INDEX(Sheet1!A:A,MATCH($B2,Sheet1!$B:$B,0))
to return Sheet1's col A based on exact matching B2 within Sheet1's col B

The col to return is specified in this part:
INDEX(Sheet1!A:A

Inspiring? hit the YES below
--
Max
Singapore

From: jacki on
Thanks so much for the quick reply but I guess I'm just dense.

I need to type a number in sheet 1, a2.. It will go to sheet 2 and match
that number with all the numbers in column a and copy the name next to that
number back to sheet 1,b2. I hope this makes sense as it's been awhile since
I have used Excel.

Thanks again for your time and help.

From: Don Guillett on