From: les on
Hi
Am looking for a phone that will act as a stand alone gps when out of
mobile phone range and am confused by the number of phones, as I
understand it A-gps is not what I need.
I am just wanting to use it for walking so turn by turn isnt required.
The only one I can find is the nokia 6110 navigator.
I will be using vodafone payg, dont want a contract.

suggestions welcome (UK only) thanks
From: Andy Burns on
On 17/12/09 19:33, les wrote:

> Am looking for a phone that will act as a stand alone gps when out of
> mobile phone range and am confused by the number of phones, as I
> understand it A-gps is not what I need.

AIUI the "A" part of "A-GPS" is there to help the GPS acquire an initial
fix more quickly with assistance from the mobile network, but that in
the absence of mobile coverage, it should function as a normal GPS.
Check what it does for battery life though, if you're out of coverage
(or in marginal coverage) the phone will waste a lot of power seeking a
network.
From: les on
On 17 Dec, 21:30, Andy Burns <usenet.aug2...(a)adslpipe.co.uk> wrote:
> On 17/12/09 19:33, les wrote:
>
> > Am looking for a phone that will act as a stand alone gps when out of
> > mobile phone range and am confused by the number of phones, as I
> > understand it A-gps is not what I need.
>
> AIUI the "A" part of "A-GPS" is there to help the GPS acquire an initial
> fix more quickly with assistance from the mobile network, but that in
> the absence of mobile coverage, it should function as a normal GPS.
> Check what it does for battery life though, if you're out of coverage
> (or in marginal coverage) the phone will waste a lot of power seeking a
> network.

So if you are on payg do you use money up from the A part as thats
what I want to avoid?
From: Andy Burns on
On 18/12/09 08:10, les wrote:

> So if you are on payg do you use money up from the A part as thats
> what I want to avoid?

I presume you're charged for the data usage, I've seen estimates that
6kB of data is transferred each time A-GPS gets an initial fix. Maybe
you could deliberately put in "broken" settings for the phone's data
account?

From: les on
On Dec 18, 8:16 am, Andy Burns <usenet.aug2...(a)adslpipe.co.uk> wrote:
> On 18/12/09 08:10, les wrote:
>
> > So if you are on payg do you use money up from the A part as thats
> > what I want to avoid?
>
> I presume you're charged for the data usage, I've seen estimates that
> 6kB of data is transferred each time A-GPS gets an initial fix.  Maybe
> you could deliberately put in "broken" settings for the phone's data
> account?

Thanks for the info Andy
Im on a bog standard payg account with vodafone and just use the phone
for emergencies, dont want to get into a contract but need to buy a
new phone as its a very old nokia and not keeping its charge.
As I go fishing quite a bit it would be handy for me to have gps as
sometimes the venues are given local names but once I get to a new
venue could store the place as a favorite - thats the idea anyway.
Also there are tide tables that i could put in applications.
I know the nokia 6110 navigator can do this as it has a stand alone
gps.
But i dont know of others and there is loads of phones out there but
gps doesn't stand out as a best seller but notice that some are loaded
with garmin.
Phone shops are useless when you start asking specific questions about
gps as they only seem to know about prices and contacts.
Looked on the usual auction site for secondhand ones but they seem to
be going for high prices so will probably wait till after Christmas.