From: Tim Johnson on
FYI: I am not a perl programmer. I work in python, rebol, c and lisp on linux
platforms. My inquiry is on behalf of my business partner and one of cour
clients. I will forward any of your responses to my partner.

My business partner, has been using a perl API to fetch data from a
vendor's server for years. Now the vendor has implemented a new
server and my partner can't download.

Over the weekend, I tried a couple of
things in the spirit of getting a fresh set of eyes on the problem.

1)From either the linux or the Windows XP ftp command line, I can
log in to the server. It gives the following welcome message:
""" 220 WAB FTP Server Ready """.

Some commands work, some fail. 'get' fails with the following:
""" 502 Command not implemented. """

Using a python script with the standard python ftplib API, I can get a
directory listing using one API python command, failing with another. Again
the 502 error.

I'm guessing here that this FTP server implements a non-standard
command set. Probably windows technologies like .net are successful
because that is recognized from the handshake on.

2)I've done some googling for documentation on "WAB FTP Server", but
so far I have had no luck finding any.

Just wondering if any of you have any ideas or experience with this.
If we had the docs, we could build our own API or maybe the perl
community has rolled one up already.

Any comments would be appreciated.
thanks
--
Tim
tim at johnsons-web.com or akwebsoft.com
From: J. Gleixner on
Tim Johnson wrote:
[...]
> My business partner, has been using a perl API to fetch data from a
> vendor's server for years. Now the vendor has implemented a new
> server and my partner can't download.

[...]
> 1)From either the linux or the Windows XP ftp command line, I can
> log in to the server. It gives the following welcome message:
> """ 220 WAB FTP Server Ready """.
>
> Some commands work, some fail. 'get' fails with the following:
> """ 502 Command not implemented. """
[...]
> Any comments would be appreciated.

First, I'd suggest not wasting your time and contact the vendor.
Possibly they (re)moved their FTP service to another machine.

To waste time, you could try command line arguments common to
FTP, during the session, to see what's avaiable, e.g. ?.
From: RedGrittyBrick on
On 17/05/2010 23:43, Tim Johnson wrote:
> FYI: I am not a perl programmer. I work in python, rebol, c and lisp on linux
> platforms. My inquiry is on behalf of my business partner and one of cour
> clients. I will forward any of your responses to my partner.

> My business partner, has been using a perl API to fetch data from a
> vendor's server for years. Now the vendor has implemented a new
> server and my partner can't download.

I would ask the vendor.

> Over the weekend, I tried a couple of
> things in the spirit of getting a fresh set of eyes on the problem.
>
> 1)From either the linux or the Windows XP ftp command line, I can
> log in to the server. It gives the following welcome message:
> """ 220 WAB FTP Server Ready """.
>
> Some commands work, some fail. 'get' fails with the following:
> """ 502 Command not implemented. """

A "get" command in an FTP client will transmit a "RETR" FTP command over
the FTP control connection. Any FTP server that doesn't implement the
RETR command isn't a very useful FTP server.

Some network devices implement a subset of FTP. For example some
print-server devices (e.g. HP JetDirect) allow printing using FTP, it is
conceivable that such a device wouldn't support a RETR command.

> Using a python script with the standard python ftplib API, I can get a
> directory listing using one API python command, failing with another. Again
> the 502 error.

I'd use something like Wireshark to see what command sequence is
actually being sent.

> I'm guessing here that this FTP server implements a non-standard
> command set. Probably windows technologies like .net are successful
> because that is recognized from the handshake on.

FTP is defined in RFC 959, The 220 and 502 responses are defined there.
The normal commands are defined there.

So far as I know, there's no proprietary non-standard variant of FTP
associated with .NET

> 2)I've done some googling for documentation on "WAB FTP Server", but
> so far I have had no luck finding any.
>
> Just wondering if any of you have any ideas or experience with this.
> If we had the docs, we could build our own API or maybe the perl
> community has rolled one up already.

Perl has modules for standards-compliant FTP servers.

Unless you can be more specific about the vendor or the Perl script I
think it will be hard to help.

Talking to the vendor seems like a good idea.

--
RGB
From: Tim Johnson on
On 2010-05-17, J. Gleixner <glex_no-spam(a)qwest-spam-no.invalid> wrote:

> First, I'd suggest not wasting your time and contact the vendor.
> Possibly they (re)moved their FTP service to another machine.
The reason that I posted this article is because the vendor has been
extremely non-responsive. Worse, the vendor moderates their mailing
list and has declined to forward *any* email regarding these problems,
thus disabling the ability of the joint community to trouble-shoot
amongst themselves and as a side effect, help the vendor.

> To waste time, you could try command line arguments common to
> FTP, during the session, to see what's avaiable, e.g. ?.
?? :(
It is beginning to be apparent that the server, when properly
configured and correctly maintained is likely to support a standard
command set. Thus my original assumption and my reason for posting
was probably incorrect.
Thanks to you all (and especially to RedGrittyBrick for some good
tips which I will forward to my partner).

regards