From: DJW on
Is there online instructions to hook up wifi on a Blue and white G3
not using apples airport but rather an aftermarket USB Wifi device? I
run both 10.3.9 band 10.4.11. I have heard that having gone to 10.4.11
has caused connection problems with Wifi. Is that turn and should I
just get it working in 10.3.9 instead of 10.4.11? What parts of the OS
do I need to configure?
From: Geoffrey S. Mendelson on
DJW wrote:
> Is there online instructions to hook up wifi on a Blue and white G3
> not using apples airport but rather an aftermarket USB Wifi device? I
> run both 10.3.9 band 10.4.11. I have heard that having gone to 10.4.11
> has caused connection problems with Wifi. Is that turn and should I
> just get it working in 10.3.9 instead of 10.4.11? What parts of the OS
> do I need to configure?

Don't waste your time. The USB ports on the B&W G3 are limited to 12mbps,
which is fine for 802.11b but useless for 802.11g and n.

You could put an add in card to upgrade your USB ports to USB 2 (480mbps),
but they are very rare. Tiger will support the NEC chipset cards properly,
but not the much more common VIA ones.

To make things worse, there is a PPC driver for the VIA cards in Tiger,
it only works for keyboards and mice. To really confuse the issue there
is a full function VIA chipeset USB 2 driver for Tiger, but it only exists
on Intel based Macs.

IMHO you would be much better off either getting one of the routers that
can connect to a WiFi network and bridge it to an ethernet one, or a
device made to bridge them.

There are very few drivers for aftermarket USB Wifi for power PC. The D-link
DWL-G version B (only B, not A, C and onward) had them (which is why they
were removed or hidden on the web site).

You can find Ralink drivers here, but I don't know if they work on PPCs.
They did have PPC drivers at one time.

http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=3

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm(a)mendelson.com N3OWJ/4X1GM
I do multitasking. If that bothers you, file a complaint and I will start
From: DJW on
On Jul 4, 11:39 am, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <g...(a)cable.mendelson.com>
wrote:
> DJW wrote:
> > Is there online instructions to hook up wifi on a Blue and white G3
> > not using apples airport but rather an aftermarket USB Wifi device? I
> > run both 10.3.9 band 10.4.11. I have heard that having gone to 10.4.11
> > has caused connection problems with Wifi. Is that turn and should I
> > just get it working in 10.3.9 instead of 10.4.11? What parts of the OS
> > do I need to configure?
>
> Don't waste your time. The USB ports on the B&W G3 are limited to 12mbps,
> which is fine for 802.11b but useless for 802.11g and n.
>
> You could put an add in card to upgrade your USB ports to USB 2 (480mbps),
> but they are very rare. Tiger will support the NEC chipset cards properly,
> but not the much more common VIA ones.
>
> To make things worse, there is a PPC driver for the VIA cards in Tiger,
> it only works for keyboards and mice. To really confuse the issue there
> is a full function VIA chipeset USB 2 driver for Tiger, but it only exists
> on Intel based Macs.
>
> IMHO you would be much better off either getting one of the routers that
> can connect to a WiFi network and bridge it to an ethernet one, or a
> device made to bridge them.
>
> There are very few drivers for aftermarket USB Wifi for power PC. The D-link
> DWL-G version B (only B, not A, C and onward) had them (which is why they
> were removed or hidden on the web site).
>
> You can find Ralink drivers here, but I don't know if they work on PPCs.
> They did have PPC drivers at one time.
>
> http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=3
>
> Geoff.
>
> --
> Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel g...(a)mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
> I do multitasking. If that bothers you, file a complaint and I will start
> ignoring it immediately.

Forgot to mention I have installed a PCI USB board that is 2.2 and is
able to let whatever I have hooked up to it to function. Was like
night and day in regards to transfer rates with a couple of USB
external hard drives and flash drives etc. Went to the system profiler
to see who made and the model but it does not give me that information
there.

Pages: 1
Prev: Energy Saving Tips
Next: iDisk