From: Simon on
On 2010/04/29 11:26 PM, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:

>> Regards
> ****
> This is what happens when you ask an implementation question instead of stating a problem.

What is that supposed to mean?

Simon

From: Simon on

>> Is it possible to 'pause' the timer
> ***
> No.
> ****
>> or at know how many ms are left
>> before the WM_TIMER event is fired?
> ****
> No
>
> What are you trying to do? There may be other ways to handle it. Note that WM_TIMER is
> not even a particularly accurate or even reliable mechanism.
> joe

See the other reply.

Simon
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
You described something you thought you wanted, to solve an undefined problem. You asked
it it terms of an implementation that would deliver a specific result. But you didn't
state what problem you were trying to solve, so we could not offer suggestions about what
might actually do the job, because we didn't know what you were trying to accomplish.

Actually, my own take on this is that if you have to keep checking as you describe, you
need to redesign the application so this is not even a problem that needs to be solved.
You are tyring to retrofit something into an existing app that it was not designed to
handle, and you are probably approaching the problem incorrectly.
joe

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 08:11:14 +0200, Simon <bad(a)example.com> wrote:

>On 2010/04/29 11:26 PM, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>

>>> Regards
>> ****
>> This is what happens when you ask an implementation question instead of stating a problem.
>
>What is that supposed to mean?
>
>Simon

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Simon on
On 2010/04/30 08:26 AM, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> You described something you thought you wanted, to solve an undefined problem.

No, I asked 2 fairly straight forward questions, read my OP again.
is it possible to pause a timer and is there a way to know how many ms
remain.

> ...state what problem you were trying to solve, so we could not offer suggestions about what
> might actually do the job, because we didn't know what you were trying to accomplish.

No, _you_ could not offer suggestions.
Others did, and they very good suggestions, thanks.

> Actually, my own take on this is that if you have to keep checking as you describe, you
> need to redesign the application so this is not even a problem that needs to be solved.
> You are tyring to retrofit something into an existing app that it was not designed to
> handle, and you are probably approaching the problem incorrectly.

No, this is the wrong assumption.

I could write a book about the application and _then_ ask my question(s).

Or I could try to be as short and to the point as possible in order to
get some help/insight/tips.

Even the one example I gave had to be short and to the point.
Any programmer would understand that.

This is not an architecture design meeting room, this is a NG.

Regards,

Simon

From: Tom Serface on
It is Joe's way of asking for additional information :o)

Tom

"Simon" <bad(a)example.com> wrote in message
> On 2010/04/29 11:26 PM, Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>

>>> Regards
>> ****
>> This is what happens when you ask an implementation question instead of
>> stating a problem.
>
> What is that supposed to mean?
>
> Simon

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last