From: Terry Pinnell on
What would other WM users recommend as the closest equivalent of Apple's APP
STORE please?

And, as a closely associated question, has anyone successfully downloaded
'Windows Marketplace for Mobile'? I have tried several times by entering my
mobile phone number on this page
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/en-gb/downloads/get-marketplace.mspx?WT.mc_ID=MP_MPPCHome
but, although I get a message telling me a text has been sent to it, nothing
has arrived.

(BTW, it seems a ponderous procedure to get and install this IMO. Why not a
simple CAB or EXE, downloadable directly?)

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
From: Vincent Collura on
They have the direct download link on the website:

mp.windowsphone.com
(Enter this into your mobile browser and it re-directs
you to the download)

Also there is another great program for freeware:
http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/omarket/

And mine:
http://www.cebeans.com/beanfinderp.htm

Have fun!

Vincent Collura
(Inventor/Engineer)

http://www.CeBeans.com
Did you get your beans Today?

From: Terry Pinnell on
"Vincent Collura" <inventor(a)CeBeans.com> wrote:

>They have the direct download link on the website:
>
>mp.windowsphone.com
>(Enter this into your mobile browser and it re-directs
>you to the download)

Thanks Vincent. I downloaded and ran the CAB from there successfully. But on
running 'Marketplace' from Start > All Programs I got an error message that
'Download was unsuccessful...'

>Also there is another great program for freeware:
>http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/omarket/

That gave me a problem too. Some sort of server error.

>And mine:
>http://www.cebeans.com/beanfinderp.htm

I downloaded the ZIP but I couldn't get the other file that is apparently
needed.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

====================

From: Todd Allcock on

> "Vincent Collura" <inventor(a)CeBeans.com> wrote:
>
>>They have the direct download link on the website:
>>
>>mp.windowsphone.com
>>(Enter this into your mobile browser and it re-directs
>>you to the download)
>
> Thanks Vincent. I downloaded and ran the CAB from there successfully. But
> on
> running 'Marketplace' from Start > All Programs I got an error message
> that
> 'Download was unsuccessful...'

Marketplace is a weird app. The initial app just installs a downloader that
downloads the latest version of the "real" app. That seems to be the one
that isn't downloading successfully. That might be a region/operator issue
(the UK should be fine, but perhaps your operator hasn't sanctioned the
Marketplace app in favor of their own?)

>>Also there is another great program for freeware:
>>http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/omarket/
>
> That gave me a problem too. Some sort of server error.

I'd try it again- they're just an independent website (no connection to
Microsoft) living off ad revenue- they go down from time to time.

Having said all that, I rarely use either- they both force apps to install
in main memory rather than storage card, so I prefer manual downloads from
developer's sites, or from the Freewarepocketpc.net site directly (the guys
behind OMarket.)

You can also get those OpenMarket apps on your phone via your browser at
http://www.pocketpcfreeware.mobi/

>>And mine:
>>http://www.cebeans.com/beanfinderp.htm
>
> I downloaded the ZIP but I couldn't get the other file that is apparently
> needed.

The Visual Basic runtime file you need to install on your device to run
Vince's "beans" in on his homepage, IIRC.

From: Terry Pinnell on
"Todd Allcock" <elecconnec(a)AnoOspamL.com> wrote:

>"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE(a)THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> "Vincent Collura" <inventor(a)CeBeans.com> wrote:
>>
>>>They have the direct download link on the website:
>>>
>>>mp.windowsphone.com
>>>(Enter this into your mobile browser and it re-directs
>>>you to the download)
>>
>> Thanks Vincent. I downloaded and ran the CAB from there successfully. But
>> on
>> running 'Marketplace' from Start > All Programs I got an error message
>> that
>> 'Download was unsuccessful...'
>
>Marketplace is a weird app. The initial app just installs a downloader that
>downloads the latest version of the "real" app. That seems to be the one
>that isn't downloading successfully. That might be a region/operator issue
>(the UK should be fine, but perhaps your operator hasn't sanctioned the
>Marketplace app in favor of their own?)
>

>>>Also there is another great program for freeware:
>>>http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/omarket/
>>
>> That gave me a problem too. Some sort of server error.
>
>I'd try it again- they're just an independent website (no connection to
>Microsoft) living off ad revenue- they go down from time to time.
>
>Having said all that, I rarely use either- they both force apps to install
>in main memory rather than storage card, so I prefer manual downloads from
>developer's sites, or from the Freewarepocketpc.net site directly (the guys
>behind OMarket.)
>
>You can also get those OpenMarket apps on your phone via your browser at
>http://www.pocketpcfreeware.mobi/
>

>>>And mine:
>>>http://www.cebeans.com/beanfinderp.htm
>>
>> I downloaded the ZIP but I couldn't get the other file that is apparently
>> needed.
>
>The Visual Basic runtime file you need to install on your device to run
>Vince's "beans" in on his homepage, IIRC.

Thanks Todd, appreciate that help.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK