From: Jeff on
In WSS 3, I want to have two top-level web sites:

http://internal.mycomp.com

http://public.mycomp.com

They both should use port 80. How can I accomplish this? When I try to
create a new web application it wants to assign a different port. I created
the web app, then change the port to 80 and it will not work. can what I
want to do above be accomplished?

Any insight is greatly appreciated

Jeff

From: Mike Walsh on
If you want both to be port 80 you could allocate two TCP/IP addresses to
the server.

Then create a Web application per each TCP/IP address's default web site
(=80).

Mike Walsh
WSS FAQ www.wssv3faq.com / wss.collutions.com
No private questions please (additions to FAQ welcome)

From: Jeff on
I have two IPs assigned to the server. . .one is assigned to our current
sharepoint site.

I created a new web site in IIS and assigned the available IP to it. Then I
went into Sharepoint central administration and attempted to create a new
web application. I get the following error:

"The IIS Web Site you have selected is in use by SharePoint. You must
select another port or hostname"

Maybe I just am missing something?

From: Mike Walsh on
You've done exactly what I presumed would work based on WSS 2.0 experience.

The only difference I can see is that in 2.0 I had one top-level site and
the other sites using different TCP/IP addresses were created under the
top-level site. (They still however had the address
http:/nnn.nnn.nn.nnn/default.aspx or in your case http://public.newcomp.com
and didn't to customers look like sub-sites)

Anyone else who can solve the real question (2 top-level sites; both port

From: Todd Klindt [WSS MVP] on
I've got two web apps on two different IPs on port 80 on one of my servers.
I can't remember doing anything crazy to get it to work. One thing to keep
in mind in v3/MOSS is that you really don't need to go into IIS Admin
anymore. It's not like v2 where you have to go into IIS Admin and create
the site, then go into Central Admin and extend it. I think you can do it
all in Central Admin now. If you've created an empty site in IIS Admin try
deleting that and creating your web app again.

tk