From: hutch on
I am not very well versed in Sharepoint, but here's the story.

We had a WSS 2 site on a Server 2000 box. We just installed a new
Server 2008 system, and installed Sharepoint WSS 3 on it. Our Admin
backed up the 2.0 site and moved it to the new 3.0 server. He says he
did it "by the book" according to Microsoft instructions. Everything
moved over OK except Users and Groups. We lost all the User data,
and, of course, all the user permissions. I say "lost", because the
Users and Groups page does not show any of the extensive data from the
old site.

The old 2.0 site is still intact on the old server. Is there any way
of going back to that site and recovering just the Users and Groups?
We'd rather not try a wholesale 2nd attempt at moving the entire site,
as there has already been a fair amount of updating data on the new
site.

Is there any hope here?

hutch