From: Justin on
Hi folks, since there isn't a linksys group I thought I would post my
problem in here. Since Cisco owns Linksys I thought there might be a
chance somebody here might be able to help.
I have a Linksys WTR54GS travel router. I am trying to use it to share
a wireless connection to three other machines also using 802.11g.
For the most part it works, but if one of the shared machines starts a
filetransfer or something that takes alot of bandwidth (youtube, skype)
the internet connection quits. We still have wireless connectivity so I
don't tink it is a channel issue.
I tried setting the machine's MTU to 1,200 with no difference.
Remember, I am trying to share a wireless connection, I do not have
access to an ethernet port.
From: Daniel-G on
Justin said the following on 25/06/2010 19:24:
> Hi folks, since there isn't a linksys group I thought I would post my
> problem in here. Since Cisco owns Linksys I thought there might be a
> chance somebody here might be able to help.
> I have a Linksys WTR54GS travel router. I am trying to use it to share a
> wireless connection to three other machines also using 802.11g.
> For the most part it works, but if one of the shared machines starts a
> filetransfer or something that takes alot of bandwidth (youtube, skype)
> the internet connection quits. We still have wireless connectivity so I
> don't tink it is a channel issue.
> I tried setting the machine's MTU to 1,200 with no difference.
> Remember, I am trying to share a wireless connection, I do not have
> access to an ethernet port.
Always keep in mind that wireless networks behave like hubs do
That is, when a machine is talkative the others keep waiting
(to paint it simple)
Try having wireshark portable on 2 pc (one with normal trafic the other
making intensive transfers) as you have no means to monitor trafic on
the box.
The portable version of wireshark uninstalls itself
Also I would "netstumbler" around to see how many APs are on the same
channel: remind that you must go by step of 3 because of frequency
overlapping (1,2,3 = 1ch 3,4,5 = 2nd available ,etc)

I cannot remember if tcpdump is embedded in the wrtg's busybox (think not)

nothing but MHO