From: Mark Hobley on
I am using tinyproxy for website filtering, and the iceape browser (which is a
derivative of mozilla seamonkey), on my Linux based system.

I have blocked google-analytics.com via the proxy server block list. If I
point the browser at http://ssl.google-analytics.com/ I get an error as
follows:

Cache Error!
The following error has occured: The request you made has been filted
Generated by tinyproxy (1.6.3)

Ok, so it looks like the filter is working. I now point the browser at
https://ssl.google-analytics.com/ and this gives a different error:

Proxy Server Refused Connection

The connection was refused when attempting to contact the proxy server you
have configured. Please check your proxy settings and try again.

Currently I am getting a wait for infinity on some websites. On examination
of the websites concerned, these appear to contain a line of javascript
as follows:

<script src="https://ssl.google-analytics.com/urchin.js";
type="text/javascript">

Obviously google-analytics is never going to respond, because the source is
blocked by proxy.

My question is, what should happen here?

Should the browser timeout here, and continue to download the rest of the
web page?

Would the browser timeout, if the proxy returned a different message
(such as the Cache Error)

Is the browser failing to time out, because the proxy is returning
Proxy Server Refused Connection, so the browser keeps trying?

What is at fault here?

My initial guess is that the proxy is at fault for returning the wrong error
code (I don't think that the proxy should be refusing connection here, but
should instead be returning Cache Error! The following error has occured:
The request you made has been filted.)

I also think that there is a fault in the browser, in that if the proxy
refuses connection, the browser should generate an error, and continue loading
the rest of the page.

I need the facility to skip waiting for infinity, and continue to load the
rest of the page.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: David Schwartz on
On Apr 11, 11:12 am, markhob...(a)hotpop.donottypethisbit.com (Mark
Hobley) wrote:

> I have blocked google-analytics.com via the proxy server block list. If I
> point the browser athttp://ssl.google-analytics.com/I get an error as
> follows:

> <script src="https://ssl.google-analytics.com/urchin.js";
> type="text/javascript">

> Obviously google-analytics is never going to respond, because the source is
> blocked by proxy.

> My question is, what should happen here?

The page cannot possibly be rendered.

> I also think that there is a fault in the browser, in that if the proxy
> refuses connection, the browser should generate an error, and continue loading
> the rest of the page.
>
> I need the facility to skip waiting for infinity, and continue to load the
> rest of the page.

Why load a page it cannot render?

You are at fault for denying access to a resource required to render
the page.

DS
From: Grant on
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 13:03:02 -0700 (PDT), David Schwartz <davids(a)webmaster.com> wrote:

>On Apr 11, 11:12 am, markhob...(a)hotpop.donottypethisbit.com (Mark
>Hobley) wrote:
>
>> I have blocked google-analytics.com via the proxy server block list. If I
>> point the browser athttp://ssl.google-analytics.com/I get an error as
>> follows:
>
>> <script src="https://ssl.google-analytics.com/urchin.js";
>> type="text/javascript">
>
>> Obviously google-analytics is never going to respond, because the source is
>> blocked by proxy.
>
>> My question is, what should happen here?
>
>The page cannot possibly be rendered.
>
>> I also think that there is a fault in the browser, in that if the proxy
>> refuses connection, the browser should generate an error, and continue loading
>> the rest of the page.
>>
>> I need the facility to skip waiting for infinity, and continue to load the
>> rest of the page.
>
>Why load a page it cannot render?
>
>You are at fault for denying access to a resource required to render
>the page.

On my system I replace a call to foreign .js to a local splat.js
file containing "//splat!" -- this satisfies the web page's request
for a file instantly. Similarly for unwanted pictures, I supply local
image of faint gray on gray to replace unwanted images.

Only problem I noticed with supplying local replacements is the Opera
spews a warning about cross-site resource requests, which I've not yet
bothered to find an answer for.

Grant.
--
http://bugs.id.au/
From: Mark Hobley on
In comp.infosystems.www.authoring.tools David Schwartz <davids(a)webmaster.com> wrote:
> The page cannot possibly be rendered.

Can't it render with the included information missing? Like for example, it
does if an image fails to load?

What do you reckon the browser should do in this case?

> Why load a page it cannot render?

I don't need the advertisements from the blocked sites, but I would like to
see the remaining content.

Mark.

From: David Schwartz on
On Apr 11, 2:16 pm, markhob...(a)hotpop.donottypethisbit.com (Mark
Hobley) wrote:

> In comp.infosystems.www.authoring.toolsDavid Schwartz <dav...(a)webmaster.com> wrote:

> > The page cannot possibly be rendered.

> Can't it render with the included information missing? Like for example, it
> does if an image fails to load?

No.

> What do you reckon the browser should do in this case?

> > Why load a page it cannot render?

> I don't need the advertisements from the blocked sites, but I would like to
> see the remaining content.

Unfortunately, all the page author need to is design the page so that
it cannot be rendered without the advertisements and there is nothing
you can do. Not all pages are designed this way, but this one is. The
browser has no idea whether or not the script is critical.

DS