From: Simon Finnigan on
Hi all,
I`m going to the USA fairly soon, and I have a UK, O2 issued iPhone 3G that
has been unlocked by O2. I`d really like to be able to get a sim for while
i`m away that gives me unlimited data for a week while I`m in the US. Not
bothered about voice calls, texts or similar really, just the data so I can
browse maps etc while I`m away.

Anyone got anything suitable, or know where I can get one from for sensible
money?

Thanks for your help.

From: Mike S. on

In article <7op5u9F3oc9deU2(a)mid.individual.net>,
Simon Finnigan <simonfinnigan(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>Hi all,
>I`m going to the USA fairly soon, and I have a UK, O2 issued iPhone 3G that
>has been unlocked by O2. I`d really like to be able to get a sim for while
>i`m away that gives me unlimited data for a week while I`m in the US. Not
>bothered about voice calls, texts or similar really, just the data so I can
>browse maps etc while I`m away.
>
>Anyone got anything suitable, or know where I can get one from for sensible
>money?

Define "a while". Days? Weeks? Prepaid is the only way to go without a
permanent address, and neither AT&T nor T-Mobile offers unlimited data on
a prepaid plan (and the per-megabyte charges are not cheap). Plus, the TMO
prepaid data is only for the Sidekick as of late.

If you will be in the US long enough for postpaid, then both carriers have
something that might be useful, but neither is perfect.

AT&T has special data plans for the iPhone.

T-Mobile will not disallow you from using an iPhone on their $10 per month
data add-on.

Both will operate at EDGE speeds, since neither carrier's 3G band is
compatible with phones made for European bandplans.

From: Dennis Ferguson on
On 2009-12-15, Mike S. <retsuhcs(a)xinap.moc> wrote:

> In article <7op5u9F3oc9deU2(a)mid.individual.net>,
> Simon Finnigan <simonfinnigan(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>>Hi all,
>>I`m going to the USA fairly soon, and I have a UK, O2 issued iPhone 3G that
>>has been unlocked by O2. I`d really like to be able to get a sim for while
>>i`m away that gives me unlimited data for a week while I`m in the US. Not
>>bothered about voice calls, texts or similar really, just the data so I can
>>browse maps etc while I`m away.
>>
>>Anyone got anything suitable, or know where I can get one from for sensible
>>money?
>
> Define "a while". Days? Weeks? Prepaid is the only way to go without a
> permanent address, and neither AT&T nor T-Mobile offers unlimited data on
> a prepaid plan (and the per-megabyte charges are not cheap). Plus, the TMO
> prepaid data is only for the Sidekick as of late.

He said a week. AT&T offers 100 MB for $20 on their prepaid monthly
GoPhone plans, but even getting that little bit is complicated by the fact
that they expect to take a monthly fee from you so you have to sign up
when you get there and then cancel when you leave. There are no good
options.

> If you will be in the US long enough for postpaid, then both carriers have
> something that might be useful, but neither is perfect.

Though I think you need not only an address but also a Social Security
number for the credit check?

> AT&T has special data plans for the iPhone.
>
> T-Mobile will not disallow you from using an iPhone on their $10 per month
> data add-on.
>
> Both will operate at EDGE speeds, since neither carrier's 3G band is
> compatible with phones made for European bandplans.

No, all iPhones sold everywhere are the same; the iPhone will work on
AT&T's 3G service, but not T-Mobile's.

My wife has an unlocked Hong Kong iPhone and travels to the USA
frequently. To get service for the phone when she's there she got
a relative to add a line for her to their family (i.e. pooled minutes)
plan with AT&T, for $10/month, and then has them add the $30 monthly
unlimited data plan to the line when she goes there and delete it
when she leaves. The phone does use AT&T 3G. This works okay (they even
prorate the $30 when she is there for less than a month, so it is actually
$1/day, plus taxes) but requires $120/year maintenance and a friend or
relative with a family plan. For short, infrequent trips I know of no
decent choices.

Dennis Ferguson
From: Tim on
Simon Finnigan wrote:
> Hi all,
> I`m going to the USA fairly soon, and I have a UK, O2 issued iPhone
> 3G that has been unlocked by O2. I`d really like to be able to get a
> sim for while i`m away that gives me unlimited data for a week while
> I`m in the US. Not bothered about voice calls, texts or similar
> really, just the data so I can browse maps etc while I`m away.
>
> Anyone got anything suitable, or know where I can get one from for
> sensible money?
>
> Thanks for your help.

This any use?

http://www.gosim.com/?page=3725_global_sim

Only mentions GPRS, not 3G but it might be enough.

Tim
From: Doctor Bob on
While I was dreaming about my next Hawaii visit <7op5u9F3oc9deU2(a)mid.in
dividual.net>, Simon Finnigan <simonfinnigan(a)hotmail.com> wrote
>Hi all,
>I`m going to the USA fairly soon, and I have a UK, O2 issued iPhone 3G that
>has been unlocked by O2. I`d really like to be able to get a sim for while
>i`m away that gives me unlimited data for a week while I`m in the US. Not
>bothered about voice calls, texts or similar really, just the data so I can
>browse maps etc while I`m away.
>
>Anyone got anything suitable, or know where I can get one from for sensible
>money?
>
>Thanks for your help.

Going on from what others have said,,,

Why not just go to a cyber cafe?
For short term, small data bandwidth it might be the cheapest/easiest
option?

Bob.

--
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be,
and another thing my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.