From: Dr. Henri Wilson on
On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 21:52:19 -0600, Tom Roberts <tjroberts137(a)sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>David wrote:
>> I've been trying to find experimental verification that c is constant
>> by looking for experiments where wavelength and frequency are measured
>> independently of each other and results from moving sources are
>> compared to the results from stationary sources - like the wavelength
>> of light with frequency f (as measured in a rest frame) from a moving
>> star compared to the wavelength of light with the same frequency f
>> created by a source in the rest frame. But I wasn't able to find any
>> experiment where wavelength and frequency are measured independently
>> to confirm that their product is a constant.
>
>Consider the operation of a standard lab He-Ne laser. The 3S->2P
>transition of neon is Doppler broadened to about 1.5 GHz [#]. The
>wavelength is 632.8 nm, and for mirrors 30 cm apart there are about 1
>million wavelengths between the mirrors, with spacing between
>longitudinal modes of 400-500 MHz. So typically 3 or 4 longitudinal
>modes of the mirrors overlap the Doppler-broadened linewith of the
>lasing transition in Ne.
>
> [#] I don't have a reference for the intrinsic linewidth
> of this transition, but the observed 1.5 GHz Doppler-
> broadened width is consistent with the thermal computation
> given in _Fundamentals_of_Light_Sources_and_Lasers_, by
> Mark Csele. So the intrinsic width is considerably smaller
> than the Doppler broadening, and that is all that matters here.
>
>The frequency and wavelength separations of the different longitudinal
>modes are fully consistent with the speed of light being constant. This
>implies that for moving Ne atoms, the product of frequency times
>wavelength for the lasing transition does indeed equal c. This is
>optical spectroscopy, and these values are known quite accurately.

Oh yeh!

>This example also refutes Henri Wilson's "BaTh", which claims that the
>wavelength of light emitted from a source is the same in all inertial
>frames -- for the Doppler-broadened lasing transition to excite multiple
>longitudinal modes in the mirrors its wavelength MUST vary with speed.

Photon wavelength DOES change during a photon acceleration...that's part of my
BaTh.

>Note that without the Doppler broadening of the lasing transition, He-Ne
>lasers would be vastly more difficult to set up and get working.

You haven't described the experiment in much detail so I can't comment.

>Tom Roberts

Henri Wilson. ASTC,BSc,DSc(T)

www.users.bigpond.com/hewn/index.htm
From: Pentcho Valev on
On Dec 30, 5:52 am, Tom Roberts <tjroberts...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote in
sci.physics.relativity:
> David wrote:
> > I've been trying to find experimental verification that c is constant
> > by looking for experiments where wavelength and frequency are measured
> > independently of each other and results from moving sources are
> > compared to the results from stationary sources - like the wavelength
> > of light with frequency f (as measured in a rest frame) from a moving
> > star compared to the wavelength of light with the same frequency f
> > created by a source in the rest frame. But I wasn't able to find any
> > experiment where wavelength and frequency are measured independently
> > to confirm that their product is a constant.
>
> Consider the operation of a standard lab He-Ne laser. The 3S->2P
> transition of neon is Doppler broadened to about 1.5 GHz [#]. The
> wavelength is 632.8 nm, and for mirrors 30 cm apart there are about 1
> million wavelengths between the mirrors, with spacing between
> longitudinal modes of 400-500 MHz. So typically 3 or 4 longitudinal
> modes of the mirrors overlap the Doppler-broadened linewith of the
> lasing transition in Ne.
>
>         [#] I don't have a reference for the intrinsic linewidth
>         of this transition, but the observed 1.5 GHz Doppler-
>         broadened width is consistent with the thermal computation
>         given in _Fundamentals_of_Light_Sources_and_Lasers_, by
>         Mark Csele. So the intrinsic width is considerably smaller
>         than the Doppler broadening, and that is all that matters here.
>
> The frequency and wavelength separations of the different longitudinal
> modes are fully consistent with the speed of light being constant. This
> implies that for moving Ne atoms, the product of frequency times
> wavelength for the lasing transition does indeed equal c. This is
> optical spectroscopy, and these values are known quite accurately.
>
> This example also refutes Henri Wilson's "BaTh", which claims that the
> wavelength of light emitted from a source is the same in all inertial
> frames -- for the Doppler-broadened lasing transition to excite multiple
> longitudinal modes in the mirrors its wavelength MUST vary with speed.
>
> Note that without the Doppler broadening of the lasing transition, He-Ne
> lasers would be vastly more difficult to set up and get working.
>
> Tom Roberts

Bravo Roberts bravo Tom bravo Albert Einstein of our generation
(Hawking is no longer the Albert Einstein of our generation)! At last
you have found the camouflage you needed so badly! Two years ago, when
we discussed an analogous problem, you still knew nothing of
wavelength measurements; you only knew that "on earth the speed of
light is c":

http://groups.google.ca/group/sci.physics.relativity/browse_frm/thread/d0701800ef02911d?
Tom Roberts, Sep 25, 2005: "None of the above measured wavelength
directly. But we do know that on earth the speed of light is c, and in
the GPS the speed of light is c between satellite and ground."

Roberts Roberts some day even your zombies will ask the fatal
questions:

"Oh Divine Master Roberts, why don't you explain both the Doppler
effect and the gravitational redshift in terms of the textbook
formula:

frequency = (speed of light)/(wavelength)

Since the frequency shifts, oh Divine Master, isn't it reasonable to
assume that the speed of light shifts with the frequency, as Divine
Albert did in 1911? If we assume that the speed of light remains
constant and it is the wavelength that shifts with the frequency, will
that assumption have implications that are too silly, oh Divine Master
Roberts?"

Pentcho Valev
pvalev(a)yahoo.com
From: Jeckyl on
"Dr. Henri Wilson" <HW@....> wrote in message
> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 21:52:19 -0600, Tom Roberts
> <tjroberts137(a)sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
>>David wrote:
>>> I've been trying to find experimental verification that c is constant
>>> by looking for experiments where wavelength and frequency are measured
>>> independently of each other and results from moving sources are
>>> compared to the results from stationary sources - like the wavelength
>>> of light with frequency f (as measured in a rest frame) from a moving
>>> star compared to the wavelength of light with the same frequency f
>>> created by a source in the rest frame. But I wasn't able to find any
>>> experiment where wavelength and frequency are measured independently
>>> to confirm that their product is a constant.
>>
>>Consider the operation of a standard lab He-Ne laser. The 3S->2P
>>transition of neon is Doppler broadened to about 1.5 GHz [#]. The
>>wavelength is 632.8 nm, and for mirrors 30 cm apart there are about 1
>>million wavelengths between the mirrors, with spacing between
>>longitudinal modes of 400-500 MHz. So typically 3 or 4 longitudinal
>>modes of the mirrors overlap the Doppler-broadened linewith of the
>>lasing transition in Ne.
>>
>> [#] I don't have a reference for the intrinsic linewidth
>> of this transition, but the observed 1.5 GHz Doppler-
>> broadened width is consistent with the thermal computation
>> given in _Fundamentals_of_Light_Sources_and_Lasers_, by
>> Mark Csele. So the intrinsic width is considerably smaller
>> than the Doppler broadening, and that is all that matters here.
>>
>>The frequency and wavelength separations of the different longitudinal
>>modes are fully consistent with the speed of light being constant. This
>>implies that for moving Ne atoms, the product of frequency times
>>wavelength for the lasing transition does indeed equal c. This is
>>optical spectroscopy, and these values are known quite accurately.
>
> Oh yeh!

Thus disproving BaTH .. I'm glad you're so please that light is indeed c
even when the source is moving.

>>This example also refutes Henri Wilson's "BaTh", which claims that the
>>wavelength of light emitted from a source is the same in all inertial
>>frames -- for the Doppler-broadened lasing transition to excite multiple
>>longitudinal modes in the mirrors its wavelength MUST vary with speed.
>
> Photon wavelength DOES change during a photon acceleration...that's part
> of my
> BaTh.

That's not what you said before. You said doppler only affected speed and
frequency and that wavelength was the same .. so .. perhaps you should
provide details of this theory you are putting forward?

>>Note that without the Doppler broadening of the lasing transition, He-Ne
>>lasers would be vastly more difficult to set up and get working.
> You haven't described the experiment in much detail so I can't comment.

You haven't described your BaTH theory, which seems different to everyone
else's ballistic theory.

From: Tom Roberts on
Dr. Henri Wilson wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 21:52:19 -0600, Tom Roberts <tjroberts137(a)sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>> Consider the operation of a standard lab He-Ne laser. The 3S->2P
>> transition of neon is Doppler broadened to about 1.5 GHz [...]
>> The frequency and wavelength separations of the different longitudinal
>> modes are fully consistent with the speed of light being constant. This
>> implies that for moving Ne atoms, the product of frequency times
>> wavelength for the lasing transition does indeed equal c. This is
>> optical spectroscopy, and these values are known quite accurately.
>
> Oh yeh!

Yes.

>> This example also refutes Henri Wilson's "BaTh", which claims that the
>> wavelength of light emitted from a source is the same in all inertial
>> frames -- for the Doppler-broadened lasing transition to excite multiple
>> longitudinal modes in the mirrors its wavelength MUST vary with speed.
>
> Photon wavelength DOES change during a photon acceleration...that's part of my
> BaTh.

That's irrelevant. It is the Doppler broadening of the emission line of
neon that matters (remember how a laser works). And the broadening MUST
occur in wavelength, or multiple longitudinal modes could not be within
the effective linewidth of the neon atoms. The longitudinal modes are,
of course, completely determined by the wavelength of the light and the
mirror spacing (N*\lambda = 2*L, where N is some integer, \lambda is the
wavelength of the light, and L is the mirror spacing; for a typical
He-Ne laser, N is about a million).

This is a simple and direct refutation of your claim that the wavelength
of light emitted from a moving source is independent of its velocity. It
is the movement of the neon atoms relative to the mirrors that makes
their individual emission lines vary in wavelength enough to intersect
multiple longitudinal modes of the mirrors.

>> Note that without the Doppler broadening of the lasing transition, He-Ne
>> lasers would be vastly more difficult to set up and get working.
>
> You haven't described the experiment in much detail so I can't comment.

Just turn on a common lab He-Ne laser and observe the wavelength
spectrum of its output (high resolution is needed). Or look it up in a
good laser textbook (e.g. _Fundamentals_of_Light_Sources_and_Lasers_, by
Mark Csele). Or even online: http://members.misty.com/don/laserhen.htm
(the section on "Longitudinal Modes of Operation").

If the wavelength of emitted light were independent of the source
velocity, then the INTRINSIC neon linewidth would be the effective
linewidth of the laser's gas discharge, and a He-Ne laser would have to
have its mirrors aligned precisely so the above condition for
longitudinal modes would lie within the intrinsic linewidth of neon.
That means that just a single longitudinal mode could do that, and one
would need to stabilize the tube holding the mirrors MUCH more carefully
(to keep that mode at the emission line as the tube heats up). The
reason He-Ne lasers are so inexpensive is that such precise alignment
and temperature compensation are not necessary -- in a real He-Ne laser
with a Doppler-broadened linewidth, 3-5 longitudinal modes always
overlap the effective emission line, and as the tube heats up and the
mirrors move apart, the modes drift but there are always 3-5 modes
within the effective linewidth and the laser operates (automatically
hopping modes as they move across the effective emission line).

While I don't have references sufficiently accurate to quantitatively
answer the original poster's question (does f*\lambda=c for a moving
source?), the simple fact that the Doppler-broadened linewidth overlaps
MULTIPLE longitudinal modes is enough to refute Henri Wilson's claim
that "wavelength is absolute", and thus refute his "BaTh".

Of course everyone except Henri already knows that
the emitted wavelength varies with source motion.

Tom Roberts
From: NoEinstein on
On Dec 30, 3:15 am, Pentcho Valev <pva...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]
> Tom Roberts, Sep 25, 2005: "None of the above measured wavelength
> directly. But we do know that on earth the speed of light is c, and in
> the GPS the speed of light is c between satellite and ground."
>
> Roberts Roberts some day even your zombies will ask the fatal
> questions:
>
> "Oh Divine Master Roberts, why don't you explain both the Doppler
> effect and the gravitational redshift in terms of the textbook
> formula:
>
> frequency = (speed of light)/(wavelength)
>
> Since the frequency shifts, oh Divine Master, isn't it reasonable to
> assume that the speed of light shifts with the frequency, as Divine
> Albert did in 1911? If we assume that the speed of light remains
> constant and it is the wavelength that shifts with the frequency, will
> that assumption have implications that are too silly, oh Divine Master

ATTENTION: Those of you who are interested in discussing the various
moot points of Einstein's theories, or the off-shoots of his
"reasoning", are invited to view the various posts of -- NoEinstein --
who has conclusively disproved Einstein both mathematically and
experimentally. Access may be gained via the following NoEinstein
post, and via the attached additional links following such. Those of
you wishing to reply to any point of science, are urged to do so in
the most recent post(s), because the earlier ones, though still quite
apt as to the science, are no longer being checked for comments. I
hope that you will find my links both interesting and educational! --
NoEinstein --

Matter from Thin Air
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.physics/browse_thread/thread/ee4fe3946dfc0c31/1f1872476bc6ca90?hl=en#1f1872476bc6ca90
Curing Einstein's Disease