From: Gautier write-only on
There are discussions from time to time, since very long, about
writing a Web browser in Ada.
The main idea would have a safe browser.
Actually today's issues about security in Web browsers remarkably seem
of the same kind as ten years ago, just a bit more frequent and acute.
Did someone give a try ?
I guess the following libraries would be considered:
- AWS, for the HTTP requests
- GtKAda, for a portable GUI
- the least possible bindings and the most possible Ada code for
decoding images and other contents
Gautier's Ada programming -- http://sf.net/users/gdemont/
NB: For a direct answer, e-mail address on the following web site:
http://www.fechtenafz.ethz.ch/wm_email.htm
From: Gautier write-only on
> Could you refer to an existing browser vulnerability that is related
> to the core browser engine and that would be avoided by choosing
> another language?
> (I'm genuinely interested)

It is a very good question, that should be solved before jumping into
such a time-consuming project :-).

My impression is that a good part of vulnerabilities are indeed within
plug-ins, another good part is between the browser and a plug-in
(typically, browser X need to be patched but not the others nor the
plug-in), and the third part, important as well, is about CSS,
JavaScript, image storage or decoding, XML, HTML parsing and other
core parts of browsers. I had a glimpse on:
http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/
and a randomly with
http://www.google.com/search?q=browser+security+update

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can answer your question,
or give percentages to the parts above...

G.
From: Peter C. Chapin on
Gautier write-only wrote:

> My impression is that a good part of vulnerabilities are indeed within
> plug-ins, another good part is between the browser and a plug-in
> (typically, browser X need to be patched but not the others nor the
> plug-in), and the third part, important as well, is about CSS,
> JavaScript, image storage or decoding, XML, HTML parsing and other
> core parts of browsers.

I had actually thought that building a web browser in Ada would be a nice
project (if only I had more time!). I'm not sure how much of a difference in
security it would make... probably some.

Any browser that could be realistically used would need to support JavaScript.
While an Ada JavaScript implementation might (or might not) be more secure
than a C implementation, it seems to me that any vulnerability related to the
JavaScript language itself would still be a risk.

In any case, the real benefit of such a project would be more in the
development of associated libraries and supporting code (imagine processing,
HTML parsing and rendering, CSS handling, etc, etc)... and in the visibility
a successful project would give to Ada. I suspect Ada was first standardized
before many current web developers were born; it might be fun to see what
sort of reception an Ada web browser project would get in that community.

Anyway a good first step might be the implementation of an HTML 5 parser in
Ada. Rather than playing catch-up that would put an Ada web browser project
right in the thick of the bleeding edge of the web world.

Peter

From: leonid on
On Apr 23, 11:03 am, Gautier write-only <gautier_niou...(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:
> There are discussions from time to time, since very long, about
> writing a Web browser in Ada.
> The main idea would have a safe browser.
> Actually today's issues about security in Web browsers remarkably seem
> of the same kind as ten years ago, just a bit more frequent and acute.
> Did someone give a try ?
> I guess the following libraries would be considered:
> - AWS, for the HTTP requests
> - GtKAda, for a portable GUI
> - the least possible bindings and the most possible Ada code for
> decoding images and other contents
> Gautier's Ada programming --http://sf.net/users/gdemont/
> NB: For a direct answer, e-mail address on the following web site:http://www.fechtenafz.ethz.ch/wm_email.htm

Hi, you may try Webkit example in Qt4ada , as a simple web browser
http://users1.jabry.com/adastudio/index.html
Leonid
From: Gautier write-only on
Peter C. Chapin:

> I had actually thought that building a web browser in Ada would be a nice
> project (if only I had more time!). I'm not sure how much of a difference in
> security it would make... probably some.

> Any browser that could be realistically used would need to support JavaScript.
> While an Ada JavaScript implementation might (or might not) be more secure
> than a C implementation, it seems to me that any vulnerability related to the
> JavaScript language itself would still be a risk.

Maybe it is a bit naive, but I have the impression that JavaScript's
vulnerability can be limited to the interaction with the surronding
operating system: file I/O and code execution (this includes starting
a plug-in).

> In any case, the real benefit of such a project would be more in the
> development of associated libraries and supporting code (imagine processing,
> HTML parsing and rendering, CSS handling, etc, etc)...

Sure. For images, I could provide some bits (some of them existing),
even in a generic way (reusable for other projects, GUIs etc.).

> and in the visibility
> a successful project would give to Ada. I suspect Ada was first standardized
> before many current web developers were born; it might be fun to see what
> sort of reception an Ada web browser project would get in that community.

Just remind them that the current browsers are made in a language
their grandparents were already using :-).

> Anyway a good first step might be the implementation of an HTML 5 parser in
> Ada. Rather than playing catch-up that would put an Ada web browser project
> right in the thick of the bleeding edge of the web world.

But probably when there will be something working you will have to
catchup with HTML 8 :-)
Just kidding. It is a very good idea, especially that the W3C
specification gives also hints about the parsing.
G.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: gnatmake problem