From: Thorshammer on
Hi,
I think similar questions have been asked before to mine, but not quite. My
question is:

How can I create a WSS site and have ALL the web parts to choose from, such
as general discussion, tasks...etc etc. I created a site with a projectsite
template and now I have only a few webparts available. I thought the cool
thing about WSS is you can use web parts from all over and complete have
custom sites.

I am the admin for the whole system and inside of web part gallery I only
have the following:
MSContentEditor.dwp
MSImage.dwp
MSMembers.dwp
MSPageViewer.dwp
MSSimpleForm.dwp
MSXml.dwp
XmlWebPart.dwp

Any help is greatly appreciated to expand my options.

Thanks,

From: Ace on
I could be wrong but I think that's all you get from WSS v3. There are a lot
more OOTB webparts for MOSS 2007 though.

From: Engelbert on
This is a very good list from Ian Morrish of the different web parts in
WSSv3 and MOSS 2007.

http://www.wssdemo.com/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=190

As Ace wrote there are (as you'll see there) many more web parts in MOSS
2007 than in WSSv3 (otherwise why would anyone buy MOSS 2007 ?).

Engelbert

From: Thorshammer on
This document doesn't apply to my issue.

Let me try and explain again.
I am running WSS 2.0

When I create a new page and choose a very simple built-in template -
"meeting place, discussion...etc" I receive 6-7 web parts (task,
calender...etc) My question is HOW can I access these web parts if I use a
different template.

For example I loaded Project template, but now I can't get the same web
parts available in other templates.

I am pretty sure this is a feature, being able to mix and match webparts so
build pages??

Thanks,

From: Engelbert on
Sorry I misunderstood your question.

Different site templates does indeed mean a different set of web parts.

The most extreme example is the Blank Site which many people think means
that the default.aspx page is empty whereas in fact it means that plus that
most of the built-in web parts that you get with the more comprehensive
"Team Site" template are no longer included.

The same applies but to a limited and different extent to Meeting Workplace
(and other templates) where you can have tabbed pages (not in Team Site) but
probably miss out on something else.

So, yes, it is by design.

Also note that once you have created a site using one kind of template you
can't change it to a different kind of template.

Engelbert

Btw the project template isn't available in standalone WSS v2 (this
newsgroup) as delivered (unless they added it in SP2 and I haven't noticed
it). So if you have problems specifically with Project template, you'll have
to ask in the Project Server newsgroup - microsoft.public.project.server.