From: Helmut Meukel on
Hi Kevin,

maybe I had the same problem. I randomly got double clicks when
I just clicked once or a click when I did't click at all.

Try to replace the mouse. It worked for me. I still don't understand
why the same mouse worked fine with another PC.

Helmut.

From: Mike Williams on
"C. Kevin Provance" <*@*.*> wrote in message

> I also noted the right-click action was acting flaky too. If
> I right-clicked over a code pain, the menu would show for
> an instant, disappear and then show properly. It happens
> randomly. Then I found out it was happening in other apps
> as well. Restart doesn't not fix. I did a full spyware/malware
> scan, no problems there. Every heard of this?

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious and if you've already tried it or it
does not apply, but this wouldn't happen to be a wireless mouse would it? If
so, have you tried changing its batteries? Also have you unplugged and
replugged the USB receiver, and checked that it is well within range and not
too close to a source interference, such as a display or a power supply?
Otherwise, perhaps you should just buy a new mouse. They are so cheap these
days (I picked one up for less than a fiver from Asda the other day!) that
it is worth giving it a try, and if it doesn't fix the problem then at least
you will have a spare mouse ;-)

Mike

From: Nobody on
"C. Kevin Provance" <*@*.*> wrote in message
> Sorry for the OT. If anyone else had experienced this problem before, let
> me know. Otherwise disregard.
>
> It started in VB. My VBScroll stopped working, and since I use SDI
> environment, it got to be a real PITA. Ending and reloading VB and the
> app
> made no difference.
>
> I also noted the right-click action was acting flaky too. If I
> right-clicked over a code pain, the menu would show for an instant,
> disappear and then show properly. It happens randomly.
>
> Then I found out it was happening in other apps as well.

What's the brand of this mouse? Wired or wireless?

One thing to check is if there is a global hook DLL that is buggy and not
calling other hooks in the chain. Start Notepad, and use something that
views the list of DLL's loaded into Notepad. You could use Process Viewer
that comes with VS6, or Process Explorer from sysinternals. When something
calls SetWindowsHookEx(), the DLL is not loaded or unloaded* until a message
is received, so use the mouse on Notepad to insure the DLL is loaded.
Examine the list of DLL's and see if there is anything strange there.

Another possibility is if you have security software that updates itself and
blocks global hooks. Mouse software generally use global hooks, so disable
your security or AV software and check to see if there are missing DLL's.

* Windows doesn't unload DLL's immediately when you call
UnhookWindowsHookEx() until the window receives a message, so sending
WM_NULL after the call unloads the DLL.